For security purposes, QuickBooks do not change the company information or personal email address for you. You can change your information just by logging into QuickBooks by following the below-provided information.
Instructions to change a file may not seem like advanced science, yet if you are renaming a QuickBooks company file, there are a couple of things to remember that you might not have thought of. Above all else, you might be inquiring as to why you would need to rename your company file and there are a few reasons. Maybe you have been encouraged to roll out huge improvements to your file and how it is set up and need a duplicate of the first file for reference. You may likewise be consolidating your QuickBooks file and need to keep the renamed unique and unblemished so you can without much stretch access chronicled information. Maybe your legitimate business name has changed and you need your file to mirror the change. These are a couple of reasons you might need to rename the file.
- 1 How to make the changes to the company name in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows and MAC?
- 2 Few situations when you should change the name of the company:
- 3 Steps to follow if you rename the company are required
- 4 Change Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
- 5 Rename Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
- 6 Update Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
- 7 FAQs
How to make the changes to the company name in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows and MAC?
When you are doing accounting you need to make changes to your accounting not only for your existing business but also if you are opening a new entity altogether.
For both the operating systems Windows and Mac it is different steps you have to follow. You have to ensure that you can only make these changes if you are logged in as an Administrator.
Few situations when you should change the name of the company:
1. Change of company name: If you have changed the name of your existing business you need to make these changes to the company name as it is mandatory for your accounting.
2. Quickbooks Data Troubleshooting: At times you are required to change the company name if you are doing troubleshooting or creating a duplicate file of your company.
3. Incorrect name: If by any chance you have misspelled the name of your business you need to change it.
Steps to follow if you rename the company are required
- Step 1 Admin User: Before you decide you want to change you need to make sure you are logged in as an Admin user.
- Step 2 Usage: Company name is present in many forms 940, 941, W2, W3, and 1099 make sure you see those changes in all the places.
- Step 3 Look for Company menu: You have to look for the main company menu and click on Company Information.
At times, you may feel that the name you have given to your business or company doesn’t suit the products and services it delivers.
With different QuickBooks versions, you get a chance to change your company’s name to make it sound like an appropriate one. It is an uncommon phenomenon that occurs in the industry as owners think a lot before finalizing a name for the company. But changing the company name becomes the need of the hour in some scenarios.
The name of any company is the symbol of the work it does. It gives the first impression of your business to customers. It’s the name apart from the logo of your company that appears on printed invoices, checks, and other legal and formal documents issued by you. Seeing the importance of the company name, it is important to make sure it is up to the mark.
When you decide to change your company name, it is mandatory to make change the name in QuickBooks as soon as your name change formalities are complete. The company name is not only your business’ social or professional representation but your legal representation as well.
The company name change in QuickBooks is required under the below-mentioned scenarios:
- As already discussed, the change of the company name needs to be reflected in QuickBooks as soon as the formalities are complete. It is important for authentic accounting processes.
- While QuickBooks Data Troubleshooting, you are required to change the company name. This is because you have to create a duplicate file for your company with some other name.
- If the name of your company is incorrect i.e. misspelled, you are required to change it.
Your company name appears on the tax forms that you file with the IRS or the Social Security Administration. Thus, having your company name in QuickBooks the same as your real company name is important. After you know the scenarios under which you need to change your company’s name, the next thing is to ensure certain things before you make any changes to the company name in QuickBooks.
Some of the steps/requirements to be ensured before furthering with making the company name change are as follows:
- Make sure you are logged in as an administrator i.e. Admin user
- Ensure that that changed company name is present everywhere required. Forms like 940, 941, W2, W3, and 1099 contain the name of the company. Hence, check if the changed name has been reflected everywhere.
- Browse to the Company menu. Look for the company information from there. Check if the name is reflected.
Change Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
When you know that you require changing the company name and address in QuickBooks after your actual business name changes, following the steps listed below can help you:
Total Time: 4 minutes
Choose & Select Company
• Choose Company
• Select My Company
• Look at the top right of the window, click the Edit icon
• Company Information window appears
Change The Company or Address
In the Contact Information section, change the company or address by entering the correct information
Fill Legal Information
• Click Legal information on the left and enter the correct information. You will find the company’s legal name or address has changed
• Click OK
Rename Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
Besides changing the name of the company, there are times when you require renaming the company name only. With QuickBooks, renaming the name of your company becomes easier. Here are a few steps that can help you rename/change the company name QuickBooks 2014, rename/change the company name QuickBooks Mac, and rename/change the company name QuickBooks 2016.
You can follow the below-mentioned instruction to achieve the renaming of the company name in the software:
- Launch QuickBooks and open your company file
- On your keyboard, press F2. This will open the Product Informationwindow
- Roll the mouse over the Location field in the File Information This will tell you the location of the file on your hard drive.
- Go to the location that you get in Step 3.
- Right-click the file
- Choose Rename from the list
- Give a new name to the company file. Let the extension be the same as in the old file name.
- Press Enter to save the new name
- Click Yes if a prompt appears
Update Company Name in QuickBooks Desktop
Though changing and renaming a company name is important, updating the same in QuickBooks is even a more vital process. This is because the company name in QuickBooks Online will only appear as changed when the legal name is updated on the Payroll Settings page.
To change your company’s legal name in QuickBooks Online, follow the instructions listed below:
- Click the Gear icon
- Select Payroll Settings from the drop-down list
- Browse to Taxes
- Click General Tax Information
- Update the information required (like company name, address, etc.)
- Click OK to save the changes
Whether you need to change the company name in QuickBooks or rename the same or update it, the above-mentioned steps will surely help you achieve all of these. If you still face any issues, contacting the QuickBooks technical support team would be the best next thing to do.
We offer proficient and effective Quickbooks technical support to all users. Our multiple telephone lines have 24*7 QuickBooks experts who receive your calls and handle your queries and doubts. They will instruct and you can act accordingly. So feel free to call us at ?smbaccountants.com anytime from anywhere.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
How do we change the address of the company?
Go to the Gear icon at the top of your account. Hit Update your personal information. After that, update your address in the appropriate address field. At last, press the Update button.
How to change the company PAN, CIN?
Go to the Gear icon at the top of the Company Settings. Hit Company from the list on the left side. Click CIN/PAN and then enter or edit your correct PAN/CIN. At last, hit Save.
How to set up QB to use the new company file name?
Open QuickBooks from the main menu then go to the File >> Open or restore an existing company. Select the option labeled Open a company file then press next. Choose the company file that you’ve renamed recently and then click Open.