It’s time to convert to QuickBooks Online if you want to have access to your accounting software from anywhere. Most of the time, switching from QuickBooks Desktop to Online is quick and simple. If you run into problems, you can always receive free support from QuickBooks. With the exception of Self-Employed, this article will assist you in switching from QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier to any version of QuickBooks Online.
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022”
Headache🥺. Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2022 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022.
- 1 Overview of QuickBooks Desktop pro-2015 and QuickBooks Online
- 2 Key Benefits of Converting QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2015 to QuickBooks Online
- 3 Prerequisites for Conversion of QBD Pro 2015 to QBO
- 4 Get Ready to Export Data from QBD Pro 2015 to QBO
- 4.1 1. Create a Backup of Your File
- 4.2 2. Register for QuickBooks Online
- 4.3 3. Transfer QBD Pro 2015 Company File to QBO
- 4.4 4. Login to QuickBooks Online Using the Desktop Application
- 4.5 5. Specify QBO if you want to Import Inventory
- 4.6 6. Login Screen Appear
- 4.7 7. Check Your Identity
- 4.8 8. Choose Your Business with QuickBooks Online
- 4.9 9. Copy File Data
- 4.10 10. Review Data Once Done with the Setup
- 5 Data that is not imported while moving from QBD to QBO
- 6 FAQ
Overview of QuickBooks Desktop pro-2015 and QuickBooks Online
Let’s have a look at both QBD as well as QBO applications in a detailed manner.
QuickBooks Desktop 2015
- QuickBooks Desktop is accounting software that is installed locally with the option of remote access via the internet.
- Pro Plus, Premier Plus, and Enterprise are the three versions of QuickBooks Desktop that are available as annual editions, with prices that vary yearly depending on the number of users.
- Editions of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise are available for various industries. Offering industry-specific tools and reports is Premier Plus.
- QuickBooks Enterprise is the desktop version with the most customization options. There are versions of QuickBooks Desktop available for Windows and Mac.
- For QuickBooks Desktop clients, CPAs and bookkeepers use QuickBooks Accountant Desktop software.
- The cloud-based, online version of accounting software offered through a monthly subscription price structure is called QuickBooks Online (QBO).
- It offers small company plans that consist of Simple Start, Plus, and Advanced. For independent contractors, QBO offers the Self-Employed plan.
- In order to improve functionality, QuickBooks Online provides upgrade options and interfaces with numerous add-on third-party software.
- To access or prepare their clients’ accounting, CPAs and bookkeepers use the QuickBooks Online Accountant application.
Key Benefits of Converting QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2015 to QuickBooks Online
There are several advantages listed below due to which, you can move on for the migration of QB Desktop Pro 2015 to QB Online.
- If you want your operations to be more flexible, you could be debating whether to switch from QuickBooks Desktop to Online.
- When you utilize the online version, your information will be kept in the cloud which allows numerous users to view it from any location at any time. Data is often kept on a server or with a cloud service provider by desktop versions of QuickBooks.
- Since you require specialized functionality for your sector or advanced inventory, QuickBooks Online is usually a better option.
- Software changes aren’t disruptive to clients of QuickBooks Online.
- With the use of QuickBooks Online, you can pay your bills comfortably and more effectively.
- The navigation of QuickBooks Online is really simple and easy to maintain than QuickBooks Desktop.
- Numerous management Software interacts with QuickBooks Online, which has the best user interface.
- It is simple to use, access, and manage QuickBooks Online. I adore how seamlessly it links with all of your checking and credit card accounts.
- QuickBooks Online eliminates the requirement for software downloads on numerous PCs.
- You can always and everywhere access your books using a desktop browser, a mobile device, or a tablet. To stay on track all year long, ask your accountant to collaborate with you.
- To better understand your company’s situation, you can link your bank and credit card.
- QuickBooks Online allows you to expand your experience with more than 600 apps and see all of your data in one location.
- Additionally, you receive regular security updates and automatic backups at no additional charge to help safeguard your data.
- You get access to greater mobile features with the QuickBooks Online mobile app.
- On your phone or tablet, you can send invoices, keep an eye on cash flow, and precisely track miles.
- Even better, you can take pictures of your receipts to compare them to actual spending. Anywhere you go; it’s like working from the office.
- A dashboard that mimics our desktop products is created by the QuickBooks Online Advanced app.
- Additionally, you can work in numerous tabs at once while being signed in. It’s like holding a desktop powerhouse in your hand.
Prerequisites for Conversion of QBD Pro 2015 to QBO
There are a few things to adhere to listed below, which you must keep in mind before transferring to QuickBooks Online such as follows:
- You will have to get ready with your Desktop file.
- You would have 60 days to move your data after creating your QuickBooks Online account.
- Verify the release and version you are using. If you have QuickBooks versions and releases 2019 R17, 2020 R15, 2021 R10, and 2022 R5 or higher, you’ll succeed more readily.
- You need to make sure that the firm file you are exporting isn’t too large.
- Press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard to check that your total targets are in the limit of 500,000. If it does, create a new QuickBooks Online file and add your customers’ opening balances.
- Print a copy of your report on your sales tax liability. After your move, you’ll need it to submit adjustment entries. For doing this, just go through the below steps:
- Under the Reports menu, you need to hit Vendors & Payables. Determine your Sales Tax Liability.
- You need to Choose All from the drop-down list of Dates.
- Choose Save as PDF from the Print menu at the top.
- Name the file, select Save, and then select the folder where you want to save it.
- Make sure before creating a backup from QuickBooks pro-2015, you need to clean up unwanted entries or junk files to convert QuickBooks Desktop pro-2015 to QuickBooks Online.
The Process to Migrate QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2015 to Online
The majority of data from QuickBooks Desktop will seamlessly migrate to QuickBooks Online, while some functions may not work exactly the same due to differences in their names.
The process of migrating from QuickBooks desktop to QBO can be executed smoothly if you will follow the below steps such as:
1. Verify the required file size
Once you’ve opened your QuickBooks Desktop file, press F2 to find out how many targets are in total. If your file contains more targets than the allowed 350,000, you can try to lower the number of targets by compressing your QuickBooks file. If condensing fails, you’ll have to make work out with transferring lists rather than performing a conversion.
Get Ready to Export Data from QBD Pro 2015 to QBO
It’s best to update your QuickBooks file as much as you can before the conversion so that your bookkeeping doesn’t fall behind while you’re learning QuickBooks Online’s new features. Prior to beginning, make sure you handle payroll, reconcile all bank accounts, and update inventory.
1. Create a Backup of Your File
In case something goes wrong, you should have to maintain a backup of your firm file. You can do this, by selecting the File option, Back-Up Company, and then Create Local Backup, as shown below:
2. Register for QuickBooks Online
You must set up a QuickBooks Online account if you don’t already have one. Before beginning the conversion procedure, go to QuickBooks Online and sign up for your desired edition. You need to give the Company’s basic information including your company’s name and description while creating your QuickBooks Online account as shown below:
3. Transfer QBD Pro 2015 Company File to QBO
Return to QuickBooks Desktop and log in to the business you are moving to QuickBooks Online. Click Firm in the top menu bar of your QuickBooks Desktop Company, and then choose Export Company File to QuickBooks Online, as demonstrated below:
You must download the most recent QuickBooks Desktop version if you can’t see the Export Company File to QuickBooks Online option. From the Help menu, choose Update QuickBooks, and then adhere to the directions. After the upgrade is finished, export the company files as previously mentioned. Apart from this, for the update to take effect, QuickBooks Desktop may need to be closed and reopened.
4. Login to QuickBooks Online Using the Desktop Application
Your QuickBooks Desktop application will prompt you to decide whether to transfer your file after you’ve chosen the data to export to QuickBooks Online or if you want to give it a shot first. Click Move Now: as your QuickBooks Online Company has already been established.
5. Specify QBO if you want to Import Inventory
QuickBooks will ask if you wish to import inventory into QuickBooks Online if you currently track inventory. If you want to do so, QuickBooks Online will update your inventory using the first in first out (FIFO) inventory method as of the start date you specify. Click “no” if you’re not sure if you want to import your inventory. You can export your inventory to an Excel spreadsheet and import it later.
QuickBooks will next ask you whether you have a QuickBooks Online account after determining whether you wish to import inventory to QuickBooks Online. Select Yes, Sign me in option since you’ve previously created a QuickBooks Online account:
6. Login Screen Appear
A log-in screen for your QuickBooks Online account will appear on your QuickBooks Desktop account once you click the Yes, sign me in button, as seen below:
7. Check Your Identity
There is a question to confirm your identity when logging into your QuickBooks Online account through QuickBooks Desktop. Enter the code after checking your email or phone before continuing:
8. Choose Your Business with QuickBooks Online
Select the QuickBooks Online Company to which you want the data to be imported to after successfully logging into your QuickBooks Account and choosing it from the drop-down list. Since the conversion will replace any existing data, be careful to choose the right company if you have many businesses. You can form a new corporation if you don’t want to save it to an existing one.
9. Copy File Data
After a short period of time, QuickBooks will begin working and present you with a confirmation page that looks something like this:
10. Review Data Once Done with the Setup
When your QuickBooks Online Company is prepared, QuickBooks will email you, however, a large file may require several hours. When you get an email like the one below, click Log in to QuickBooks Online to check your data after completing your setup:
Data that is not imported while moving from QBD to QBO
When migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to Online, the majority of your data will be imported, but there are several things that won’t, including:
- Notes and bank account numbers are not converted to QuickBooks Online.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop file’s attachments are not transferred to the online version.
- The Bill Received checked is not transformed, but item receipts are turned into bills.
- The password linked to your desktop shutting date is transformed, but not the desktop closing date itself.
- Custom fields for customers, suppliers, workers, or goods are not yet supported by QuickBooks Online, so they do not convert.
- All the details of the customer as well as your job are not converted.
- QuickBooks Online does not automatically calculate discounts when a payment is received, despite the fact that Terms can define the discount to be offered in the event of early payment of bills.
- Documents listed under the Company Menu do not all move with the attachments that go with them.
- Currently, there is no automatic method in QuickBooks Online for calculating finance costs for delayed customer payments.
- The billable status of a journal entry is the sole data point that isn’t converted. In QuickBooks Online, a journal entry cannot be made billable.
- SALES FROM TEMPLATES: These adjustments to the layout are not transferred.
- You can remember reports in QuickBooks Online, but none of the reports you learned in QuickBooks Desktop have been transferred. The reports must be recreated in the online version and memorized once more.
- Transactions can be created on a Desktop in a few different ways that Online does not support. Currently, transactions involving three distinct currencies do not convert online.
- Once converted, bank and credit card accounts created for bank feeds become disconnected. The bank’s rules are not converted either.
- Each user who has access to a company file in QuickBooks Online must enter a password in order to log in. Passwords and usernames cannot be converted.
- To balance your books, transactions and the payroll account are converted, but the information underlying the transactions (such as the breakdown of payroll items and employee year-to-date numbers) is not converted.
- There isn’t an option to mark a sale as “Pending” in QuickBooks Online. The Desktop data file’s pending transactions are not transferred to QuickBooks Online.
- Since QuickBooks Online does not have a feature that allows you to automatically alter item pricing, price levels are not converted.
- Since printing mailing labels is not an option in QuickBooks Online, they do not convert.
- In order to prevent system issues, all recurring transaction templates should be deleted before importing into lower versions of QuickBooks Online.
- Notifications don’t convert.
- Sales taxes and VAT codes frequently do not convert, however, this problem can be resolved by making journal entries or importing merely the list and balances.
- QuickBooks Online has its own keyboard shortcuts but does not translate your shortcut list or icon bar settings from the desktop.
- In the Chart of Accounts, QuickBooks Online does not enable tax line mapping.
- Customers, suppliers, and jobs cannot yet be categorized with types in QuickBooks Online.
- Tasks and To Do lists cannot be defined in QuickBooks Online, hence they are not converted.
- The user’s ability to view and use specific areas of QuickBooks Online is constrained by access permissions.
- There is no way for QuickBooks Online to leverage your data to create customized mailings.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Can QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online be used simultaneously?
The same firm cannot use both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. The platforms for QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online are distinct and incompatible with one another.
Why is QuickBooks a bad system?
Let’s quickly examine QuickBooks’ drawbacks: Lack of tailor-made reports leads to limited reporting and transparency of your company’s health. You can notice double entries and typing mistakes in systems and departments. In addition to this, there are restrictions on data and file size as well as on the number of users.
Can QuickBooks Mac be converted to run online?
You can convert QuickBooks Mac to Online. For doing this, you need to Select QuickBooks from the top taskbar when on QuickBooks. Select Update QuickBooks to the most recent version by selecting Check for Updates. Restart the Mac version of QuickBooks after the update is complete. Select Export > To QuickBooks Online under File.
In this blog, we hope that you will get a detailed understanding of the conversion of QuickBooks Desktop to QBO. But, still, if you stuck somewhere, you can contact to QuickBooks support team.