In this article, we’ll tell you how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks step by step with easy methods. If you have been previously using the Quicken accounting software but for some reason, you want to convert your Quicken files into QuickBooks then you can use the QuickBooks ‘Utilities’ option to convert from Quicken or you can use the Quicken Converter to perform this task.
You can straight convert your Quicken file to QuickBooks Desktop or you can as well use the Quicken Converter to upgrade your file first depending on the version of Quicken version you are using. Read on the post ahead to understand more about the conversion method and then get begun with your switch to QuickBooks.
Still, many users prefer QuickBooks because of its user-friendly interface that provides access to many powerful functionalities that can bring a complete change in the whole accounting landscape. In addition to this, QuickBooks can also be used for creating multiple reports that provide a drill-down analysis of business activities. This in turn makes it possible to analyze the overall business outlook through the accounting microscope. For QB Mac users, the steps will differ. If you are having issues while migrating data contact QuickBooks Mac support.
- 1 Information about the conversion process
- 2 Points to Remember Before Converting from Quicken to QuickBooks
- 3 Convert data with the Quicken converter
- 4 When to use Quicken Converter Tool
- 5 How to Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using Utilities
- 6 Manually converting Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop Data
- 7 FAQ
- 7.1 What if the tool is converting 2 files for Quicken to QuickBooks conversion? What to do with another file?
- 7.2 What if I want to convert the data from Quicken to QuickBooks Online conversion?
- 7.3 What about bank accounts in the Quicken to QuickBooks conversion data?
- 7.4 How can I move the data from Quicken to the QB online?
- 7.5 Is it possible to convert QuickBooks into Quicken?
- 7.6 Why do we need to convert Quicken to QuickBooks?
Information about the conversion process
Quicken converter can help you migrate data for many versions of QuickBooks desktop. The converter works only when you use the parallel version of QuickBooks Desktop. The more convenient conversion process relies on the conversion utility to import data from the Quicken file to the QuickBooks company file.
Here are some things that you need to know about the Quicken to QuickBooks conversion process:
- Quicken converter can be used to upgrade the Quicken file, after which the conversion utility can be used to convert data to QuickBooks Desktop.
- The conversion utility in QuickBooks can help you directly convert your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop. The utility can be accessed from QuickBooks Desktop. However, it works only if the Quicken data file is in a version parallel to that of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Neither the Quicken converter nor the conversion utility enables users to convert Quicken for Mac data to QuickBooks Desktop. You’ll have to start fresh if you’re using the mac version of Quicken.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Points to Remember Before Converting from Quicken to QuickBooks
This is a list of a few important things that you should consider and do before converting the Quicken file to QuickBooks.
The method of file conversion from Quicken to QuickBooks is invariable i.e. once the Quicken file is converted then it cannot be reverted and you won’t able to use these files in Quicken again.
Make sure to create a backup of the Quicken data that you want to convert, in case you may have to access this data in Quicken software.
If you have used the Quicken application on Mac, then prime you require to change Quicken Mac files into Windows file because QuickBooks only change Quicken windows files.
Note: Before converting your data make sure to remove or clean up QuickBooks Desktop software.
It is important to back up all your data before making any significant changes to it. Without a backup, it will be impossible to restore lost data. According to the value of the accounting data, you can choose to create a backup. For users who have opted for cloud hosting of QuickBooks company files, contacting their service provider would be the best idea. You, the service provider, will be able to inform you about the status of the backup that is maintained with them.
Convert to Excel Spreadsheet
Exporting the data
- Open Quicken and select the data that you want to export
- Click on the Export data button
- Select CSV format for data transfer.
- Quicken will load the whole data and convert it into CSV
- Select the location where you want to save this file
- After saving, open the file in Excel
- Go to File and click on ‘save as.’ While saving select the XLS or XLSX format
Importing the data
- Open QuickBooks
- Goto file and hover above Utilities
- Select import and click on Excel Files
- A new window with the name Add Your Excel Data to QuickBooks will appear
- Goto Advanced Import
- Select the location of the spreadsheet that you exported from Quicken
- Click Ok and QuickBooks will start importing all the data saved in the Spreadsheet.
For older versions of Quicken, data does not need any conversion. Users can easily import that data. For newer versions of this accounting software, the company file needs to be converted into the file for the older version of Quicken. After this, the file can be imported directly into QuickBooks.
Convert data with the Quicken converter
Before proceeding to the manual process, you should try to rely on the tools and utilities available to complete the Quicken to Quickbooks conversion process. These tools and utilities are free, so you don’t have to pay extra money to transfer your data.
Download the Quicken converter
Fortunately, the Quicken converter is available for free. You can download the version of the converter that is parallel to the version of QuickBooks Desktop on your system. After you’ve installed the converter, you’ll be able to select the Quicken file from which you want to transfer the data to the QuickBooks desktop.
Download links for different versions of the Quicken converter:
Install the Quicken converter
Now let’s come to the download process. Let me remind you that you need administrative privileges to install this tool on your system, so either log into an admin account or get in touch with your system’s administrator.
Steps to install the Quicken converter to migrate to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Double-click on the Quicken converter setup.
Note: you can download the setup from one of the links provided in the download section.
- Agree to the terms and conditions, then click on Next.
- Click on Next, then Install to begin the installation process for the Quicken converter.
- Click on Launch Quicken Converter.
- Click on Finish.
- Click on I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows.
- Choose to Get Started.
- Click on Open a data file located on this computer, then click on Select File.
- Locate and select the Quicken file that contains the data that you want to convert to QuickBooks desktop.
- Click on Ok.
- Click on Convert it!, then OK.
- Choose a location for your new Quicken file, then click on Save.
- Click on Exit after the process completes.
Save your upgraded Quicken file in an easily recognizable location so that you can use the utility on the QuickBooks desktop to complete the conversion process.
Using the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks Desktop
This is the final step of converting your data from Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop. Kindly ensure that you’ve upgraded your company file to a parallel version using the Quicken converter tool. The steps for the same are given in the sections above.
Steps to convert your Quicken file to a QuickBooks Desktop file using the conversion utility:
- From the File menu, click on Utilities.
- Click on Convert.
- Choose From Quicken.
- Browse and select the .QDF Quicken file that you want to convert to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to convert all your accounting data successfully.
After finishing this process, you can go to QuickBooks and create reports to verify the completion of the data transfer. If you find any particular data missing, then import it manually from Quicken into QuickBooks.
When to use Quicken Converter Tool
- You’ll need to use the Quicken converter when the version of Quicken software is not the same as the QuickBooks version. For example, if you want to convert files from Quicken 2017 to QuickBooks 2019, then you’ll need a Quicken converter.
- If the version of both Quicken and QuickBooks are of a similar year i.e Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks 2019 then you do not require a Quicken converter.
- As we mentioned above, Neither QuickBooks utilities nor Quicken Converter cannot convert Quicken for Mac files. You require to change Quicken Windows or build a new QuickBooks Company file rather.
How to Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using Utilities
Below discussed are the moves for converting Quicken to QuickBooks utilizing the in-built ‘Utilities’ option.
- Open QuickBooks and from the top of the index, the bar clicks the ‘Files’ option.
- From the drop-down menu, go to the ‘Utilities’ option.
- And then go to the Convert<From Quicken.
- Now locate and open the Quicken file with (.QDF) file extension on the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the conversion process.
Convert Quicken Files to QuickBooks using Quicken Converter
- First, download the Quicken Converter the same version as your QuickBooks Desktop from Intuit’s official website.
- After downloading Quicken Converter, open the application file and accept the terms and conditions and click the ‘Next button.
- After finishing the installation process of Quicken Converter, click on ‘Finish’.
- To start converting, select the option ‘I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows and then Get Started.
- And then you need to browse the Quicken files that you want to convert and for this select ‘Open a data file located on this computer.
- When you found the Quicken file with file extension (.QDF), double-click on the file.
- Finally, click on the ‘Convert’ option to start migrating data from Quicken to QuickBooks.
- Now, you can save the converted file on the computer for using QuickBooks later.
Manually converting Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop Data
Let’s say that you can’t use the Quicken converter or the conversion utility to transfer your financial data. In this case, you can rely on the export utility in Quicken to export your data in excel format. You can then import the excel file into QuickBooks Desktop to complete the conversion process.
You can use this method to:
- Convert transactions data from Quicken to QuickBooks
- Convert sales tax data from Quicken to QuickBooks
- Convert inventory items (categories) and tax items from Quicken to QuickBooks
Steps to export transactions from Quicken to Excel:
- Log into the Quicken file.
- Go to the Actions Gear icon.
- Click on Export to Excel Workbook.
- Click on the File Name field, then input a valid name for the file.
- Click on Save.
- Go to Excel, then choose Open Other Workbooks.
- Make the necessary adjustments before you import the data into QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps to export reports data from Quicken to Excel:
- Create the report in Quicken.
- Click on Export Data.
- Choose Export to Excel Workbook.
- Input a valid file name for the export file.
- Click on Save.
- Open the exported file using Excel or another spreadsheet program.
Steps to import data exported from quicken into QuickBooks Desktop:
- Log into your QuickBooks company file.
- Click on File.
- Choose Utilities.
- Click on Import, then choose Excel Files.
- Choose the relevant option in the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries windows.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to import all the data from the Excel file into QuickBooks Desktop.
You’ve successfully converted the process of converting Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop. Kindly repeat the steps to import data from multiple excel files that you exported from Quicken.
We hope that you found our article on how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks valuable as well as useful. We’ve explained how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using both utilities and the Quicken Converter tool in simple steps. You can follow the steps given above to easily Convert Quicken to QuickBooks Data. To know more or to avail of QuickBooks Data Migration Support.
Need Professional Help?
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
What if the tool is converting 2 files for Quicken to QuickBooks conversion? What to do with another file?
The 2 files are .QDF and .QDX files both. You have to convert the .QDF file only. If you look for the upgraded .QDF file in the folder named Q17files or Q18 files that are located at the same location as your Quicken File. The .QFD also has the same name as the original Quicken file.
What if I want to convert the data from Quicken to QuickBooks Online conversion?
In the case of Quicken to QuickBooks online conversion, you have to first export the data into a CSV file then import this file into a QuickBooks Online account. After that, you are done. This is the process that you have to do without any issues and problems so that it can be done easily.
What about bank accounts in the Quicken to QuickBooks conversion data?
You have to connect with the bank accounts according to the data that you converted into your QuickBooks account. You have to check the accounts that are into your data and then connect them one by one. After connection, you have to categorize the transactions according to the bank rules.
How can I move the data from Quicken to the QB online?
Firstly, you need to export the Quicken data to a file. Then export the Quicken data to file but it must be in .CSV format. So, you can easily import the file to QuickBooks. Then, sign in to QuickBooks. Now, associated with your account. Perform the displayed instructions until the program is not finished.
Is it possible to convert QuickBooks into Quicken?
No, once you convert the Quicken into QuickBooks then there is no way to go back. QuickBooks is a combination of all enhanced features of Quicken. QB is always a good choice to manage business accounting in convenient ways.
Why do we need to convert Quicken to QuickBooks?
To meet advanced features and quick access, QuickBooks is always a better option than Quicken. With the right guidance and accurate steps, you can easily convert Quicken into QuickBooks. It improves performance and is beneficial for all small and medium-sized businesses.