We are going to discuss the step-by-step procedure for how the employee record is deleted or hidden employee’s name from Employee List.
- 1 Deleting Employee Name for QuickBooks
- 2 Deleting, Deactivating, or Terminating an Employee from Intuit Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Employees will either be deleted or hidden from Employee List.
If the employee is removed from Employee List, that employee doesn’t carry the balance or they are not used in any of the transactions, at least once.
Transactions include the below-mentioned points:
- Regular check
- Timesheet data
Important to Remember: An employee setup having wages or pages associated with it won't be deleted if QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Service is what you have.
In case you have created an employee setup in duplicate setup or an error, then you should get in touch with the QuickBooks tech support helpdesk for assistance to get the issue resolved.
Deleting Employee Name for QuickBooks
To hide or delete the employee from the Employee List in QuickBooks, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
Total Time: 10 minutes
Firstly ensure that employee record is located
Go to QuickBooks Desktop and click on Employees and then on Employee Centre
Then go to employee name and right-click on it
Click on Delete Employee>> Click on OK
Important to Remember: In case you are aware of the transactions that are associated with the particular employee, then you can easily delete it and remove that employee. Make sure you do this only if the removal of transactions is not going to affect the books.
Hiding or making the employee name inactive:
Make sure that employee record is located first
Go to QuickBooks Desktop and then select Employees and then Employee Center
Then choose the name of the employee
Go to the window of Edit Employer and choose the check box that says Employee is inactive
Click on OK and the name of the employee will not appear anymore in Employee List
If an employee is made inactive or hides by you then you have to right-click on Employee List and then choose Show Inactive Employees, to see or check them.
Deleting, Deactivating, or Terminating an Employee from Intuit Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll
An employee that was not completely paid can be deleted, such as a person who was inadvertently set up or have not at all worked actually. Employees having pay history or paychecks cannot be deleted. You can always change their status to something else not an Active if you go by the instructions.
Important to Remember: Make sure that employee's pay history or paychecks are not deleted by you while trying to delete the employee completely from your account. This is restricted because pay records are the vital and integral part of any of the account's data and you won't be able to restore the information that was deleted.
For QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
- Access the Employees menu and choose Employee Center.
- Search and open the employee’s profile.
- Select Employment Info and then navigate to the Termination tab. Note: If you are laying off or furloughing an employee, choose the Leave of Absence tab instead and provide the required details, such as Start Date and Type.
- Enter a status in the Termination Type field
- Fill in the necessary information, including the Release Date. If you wish to remove the employee from your Active employee list, mark the Employee is inactive checkbox.
- Once you have completed the required steps, select OK.
For QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Click on Payroll, then Employees.
- Choose the desired employee from the list. If the employee is not listed, select All employees from the Active Employees dropdown.
- Access the Employment details and select Start or Edit.
- From the Status dropdown, choose the appropriate status such as Terminated, Paid Leave of Absence, Unpaid Leave of Absence, Deceased. If you are laying off or furloughing an employee, select Not On Payroll.
- Finally, select Save to save the changes.
Need Professional Help?
We assure you that the SMB QuickBooks tech support team will answer all your queries in the best possible way ensuring that you are satisfied completely. Call on smb_accountants.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I remove someone from QuickBooks?
1. Go to Settings ⚙ and choose Manage users.
2. Locate the user you wish to delete and click on the arrow icon ▼ in the Action column.
3. Select Delete.
4. In the confirmation window, click on Delete once again.
How do I edit an employee in QuickBooks desktop?
In the Run payroll screen, select the employee’s name. Select Start or Edit on the section you want to update. Update the employee’s information, select Save, then select Done.
How do I delete a team member in QuickBooks?
1. Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant as an admin or a user with full access permissions.
2. Access the Team menu.
3. Choose the Access tab.
4. Locate the team member you want to modify and select Edit in the Action column.
5. From the Status dropdown, select Inactive.
6. Confirm your selection by selecting Yes.