Making the General Ledger Entry in the QuickBooks
Accounts that work on the basis of traditional accounting systems where the transactions are posted in the general journal and make use of Journal Entry for the maintenance of general ledger in QuickBooks.
Feature of Journal Entry can also be used for recording the miscellaneous entries that cannot be adjusted in the registers of regular transactions, for example you are willing to get the inventory levels recorded by not taking the option of inventory management in use, which is built-in the QuickBooks.
General ledger allows you to make the special adjustments in the accounts which can’t be made through basic account manager. If you are facing some issues, get in touch with our QuickBooks technical support team, in order to ensure that your transactions are getting recorded correctly.
There are total 9 steps to Making the General Ledger Entry in the QuickBooks, which are mentioned below:
Total Time: 8 minutes
From the drop-down menu select Company and then select Make General Journal Entries
Tap on the field of Date and then make sure correct date is selected for the entry of ledger in the calendar that pop-up
Click on the field of Entry No and then get the b=value entered for journal entry, in case you didn’t find any already existing value. Subsequent entries will be automatically numbered in the consecutive order
Tap on the drop-down menu of Account and then choose the account which you are willing to initiate the debit with
Get the value entered for the transaction in the column of Debit. You can make use of the debit for the payment and credit can be used for indicating the deposit
Tap on the field of Memo and then type down the memo, in case it is desired
Choose the column of Name and then select the vendor, customer employee or a name for transaction. This information should be entered for the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable accounts
Get the new transaction entered in next line specifically for the account which is going to receive credit for transaction. Make sure that same value is used for credit, which was used by you for previous debit. Get the required fields completed for every column by using the method same as the one used for creating the debit
Click on the Save and Close as soon as the transaction register touches the zero balance. In case yours is not the zero balance then get your credits and debits double-checked. One credit and one debit are required for every transaction which equals the same amount
Making General Journal Entries in the QuickBooks
Follow the steps given below, for making the general journal entries in the QuickBooks:
- From menu go to the Company and then to the Make General Journal Entries present at the screen’s top
- In the window of Make General Journal Entries, you can make the changes in the field of Date, if required. Current date will be taken by QuickBooks by default, hence if you are posting an entry from the previous year or month then make sure that you make changes in it, it will ensure that the entry made by you is recorded in appropriate and correct financial time-period
- Get the number of the journal entry entered in the field of Entry No. subsequent journal entries will be numbered automatically by QuickBooks, that too in proper sequence
- Make sure that account number of general ledgers is entered in the column of Account. First account can also be selected by you from the menu of drop-menu in the column of Account
- Enter the credit or debit amount in the columns of Credit or Debit, for the selected account. Credits and debits should be equal, in order to make the balanced entry by allowing QuickBooks to get the entry posted
- Get the descriptive memo entered in Memo Column, which will be seen on the reports having this journal entry. Though this step is not mandatory, but we strongly recommended you to follow the same, so that you are able to remember it later that what was the reason behind making this entry
- Keep repeating the step from 4 to 6, until the entries get balanced completely with each other and your transactions have the zero balance. Ensure that the total in the column of Debit is equal to the total present in the column of Credit. This ensures that journal entry is balanced accurately
- Click on Save and Close to get the journal entry saved and then you can close the window. You can also tap on Save and New in order to get the journal entry saved and then to open the new window
Issues Faced by the Users
- How the account numbers are turned on in general ledger?
- How general ledger account numbers are created?
Need Professional Help?
To know the answers of all your questions, you can consult our SMB QuickBooks technical support team. We assure you that SMB QuickBooks product help team will answer all your issues and queries. You can dial our smbaccountants.com to have a direct conversation with our QuickBooks tech support helpdesk.
- Cannot Open Quickbooks Error
- QuickBooks Error 179
- Unable to Launch QuickBooks in windows 10
- QuickBooks Not Calculating Payroll Taxes
- Quickbooks Webconnect Branding Error
- How to Open a Qbx File in Quickbooks 2015?
- Sales receipt vs invoice. How they differ within quickbooks online 2016
- Shipstation QuickBooks Integration
- Export Invoice from QuickBooks?
- Outlook is not an option in QuickBooks send form preferences. How to fix the issue?