When you use the QuickBooks software for the first time and set up your new company file, you will see an Opening Balance Equity account that is created automatically in the equity portion in the accounts chart.
Opening Balance equity account in QuickBooks is very important as it is responsible for maintaining the entries in the balance sheet. Also, it enables you to add balances to an asset, equity or liability accounts. You can set your customers, vendor and supplier with an opening balance equity.
- 1 How To Create Opening Balance Accounts
- 2 How To Set up Owners Or Partners
- 3 Issues Users Face While Opening Balance Equity QuickBooks
- 4 What accounts are impacted while entering a Vendor or Supplier Opening Balance?
- 5 Some of the Common Errors that Users do while opening Balance Equity Accounts
- 6 Symptoms of errors in Opening Balance Equity Accounts
- 7 How to Review Balances in Open Balance Equity Account?
How To Create Opening Balance Accounts
- Firstly open your QuickBooks software
- Now choose the Gear icon from the top right of the window.
- Then select the Chart of Accounts option.
- Next select the new option.
- After that go to the category type and choose the equity option.
- You can choose any of the equity according to your situation for example Partner’s equity or owner’s equity.
- Now you have to name the account and fill all the details in the fields like the name, balance etc.
- Then save the calendar icon and select the date.
- At last read all the details you have filled and click on the save and close button.
How To Set up Owners Or Partners
- First you have to create each partner or the owner as a Vendor or a Supplier
- Now navigate to your dashboard.
- Then select the expenses tab at the left side and click on the vendor supplier option.
- After that, you need to select the vendor and enter the details or the information in the fields.
- Next click on the save button.
Issues Users Face While Opening Balance Equity QuickBooks
Some people encounter issues like they entered a loan in QuickBooks as a long term liabilities and notes payable and entered the amount of the loan. Also, while entering the payments they make sure to notate that account.
After doing all this, still the loan amount shows up negative amount in opening balance equity in their balance sheet why?
Some people also face issues like user opens the old software to see if the company had any retained earnings. I have read that the Opening Balance Equity account is often a reflection of retained earnings.
What accounts are impacted while entering a Vendor or Supplier Opening Balance?
The Payable account, income and Accounts Payable (A/P) / Trade and other are affected while opening balance equity in QuickBooks. When the QuickBooks subscription is created the Expense account is chosen as the default account and you see the expense account appearing in the Debit column on the transaction journal.
You can edit it as soon as the original transaction is generated.
Follow the steps provided below for editing the expense account that the opening balance is assigned to:
- The first thing you need to do is open your QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Then navigate to the menu tab and select the expenses group.
- Next select the Vendor and suppliers tab.
- After that choose the opening bill created option in the top of the transaction list.
- Now click on the edit option and alter the expense account in the detail line item of the bill.
- At last read whatever you have altered and if it is correct select the save button and save it.
Some of the Common Errors that Users do while opening Balance Equity Accounts
- The Users are not aware of what to do with the Open Balance Equity account.
- The Users enter an opening balance while setting up a new account, inventory item, vendor and customer.
- The Users create the transactions that are posted to the Open Balance Equity account.
Symptoms of errors in Opening Balance Equity Accounts
- The balance remains in Open Balance Equity account for a long time even after initial start up of the data file.
- The Open Balance Equity account has balance.
How to Review Balances in Open Balance Equity Account?
- Now click on the reports tab then go to the Company & Financial group.
- Then select the Balance Sheet Standard
- Next you can see the report if the balance is there in the account or not but make sure you do not adjust the date before viewing.
For further assistance or inquiry related to QuickBooks and related software, you can call our SMB QuickBooks Helpline ?smbaccountants.com. Our SMB QuickBooks Technical Support team has knowledgeable and proficient QuickBooks experts to guide you.
- Set up 1099 vendors in Quickbooks
- Profit and loss report in QuickBooks: How to run a detailed report in quickbooks 2017
- Pay Vacation And Sick Time In QuickBooks Desktop
- Cash Disbursement Journal In QuickBooks
- How to Record Reimbursement from Vendor in Quickbooks
- Add A Late Fee to A Customer in QuickBooks
- How to Set up Owners Draw in QuickBooks?
- Networking quickbooks on two computers
- Add a General Ledger Account in QuickBooks
- How To Import Accountant's Changes In QuickBooks?