Let’s have a look at how an expense is entered, edited and deleted in QuickBooks.
- 1 How to Delete An Expense in QuickBooks?
- 1.1 First Step: Select Expenses
- 1.2 Second Step: Select Delete on Screen of Expense Details
- 1.3 Third Step:
- 1.4 How to Delete Expense Transactions in QuickBooks Online?
- 1.5 How to Delete Recorded Expense in QuickBooks?
- 1.6 How to Delete An Inactive Expense in QuickBooks?
- 1.7 How to Delete Batch Expenses in QuickBooks?
- 2 How to Enter/Edit an Expense in Quickbooks?
- 3 FAQs
How to Delete An Expense in QuickBooks?
To Delete an Expense in QuickBooks follow the steps provided below:
Total Time: 3 minutes
First Step: Select Expenses
➤ Go to left menu and select Expenses
➤ Then go to the window of Expense Transactions and select the expense which is not required, or you are looking forward to deleting
Second Step: Select Delete on Screen of Expense Details
Now go to the screen of Expense details and select More and then Delete
Select Yes, as soon as a box appears that will confirm whether you wanted to get the transaction deleted or not.
Important to Remember: Once the expense is deleted, its record will only be found in Audit Log. For that, you have to go to the Reports then All Reports. After that to Business overview and then to Audit Log.
How to Delete Expense Transactions in QuickBooks Online?
- Open the Expenses menu and then choose the “Expenses” tab
- Locate and mark the Expenses that you want to delete
- Go to the Action menu and hit the Delete button from the menu options
- Hit the next click on the Yes button to confirm to delete the expense transaction
- Once you delete an expenses transaction, it will automatically remove from your reports as well.
How to Delete Recorded Expense in QuickBooks?
- Go to the “Banking” menu and click on the “Use Register”
- Choose your Account, all options will appear on your screen
- Now, you have to mark that account where all incorrect transactions were recorded
- Moving forward with on-screen guidelines and hit the OK button
- Find the deposit transaction and give the right-click on the deposit
- From the drop-menu options, click on the “Delete Deposit” option
- Enter last on the OK button end with this process
How to Delete An Inactive Expense in QuickBooks?
Let me help you through these steps:
- Hit the first click on the “Gear” icon
- Choose the “Products and Services”
- Mark all the expenses that you want to delete
- Enter your next click on the “Batch Actions”
- Select the “Make Inactive” option
- Hit the YES button to complete the action
How to Delete Batch Expenses in QuickBooks?
- Firstly, open the Banking menu
- Hit the click on the “Reviewed” field to delete all transactions that you want to remove
- Once you choose all transactions, hit the Undo button and then Continue
- Then, place your all transactions back into the “Review” section
- Now, again mark all transactions that you want to delete
- Give a click on the “Batch Actions” and choose the “Exclude” option
- Excluded tab will open on your screen and then go to the “Review” tab
- Now, you can choose all the transactions, then again click on the “Batch Actions”
- Hit the last click on the “Delete” and then the YES option to finish this process.
How to Enter/Edit an Expense in Quickbooks?
How to Enter an Expense in QuickBooks?
- First of all, tap on the icon which looks like Plus (+) and then select Expense
- Get the expense information filled in it:
- Payee: get the supplier or vendor entered here, it could be a business or a person. In case the transaction of yours comprises of the petty cash expenses that are multiple, then leave it unfilled.
- Credit/Bank account: Make sure that you mention the account correctly, where your expense is going to be credited.
- Payment/Expense date: The date when a transaction is entered by you, is automatically used by the QuickBooks Online. You can change it to the date, when the purchase was made by you.
- Method of Payment: Mention how you will be paying for expenses
- Ref no: (This is Optional) Identifying number can be entered by you, that is present in purchase receipt.
- Department/Location: This is available in QuickBooks Online Plus only. In case the Plus is used by you and still you can’t see the option, then turn on the Account and Settings or the Company Settings.
- Accounts: These are the accounts that will be used for transaction.
- Description: (This is Optional) Notes related to the expenses could be added here.
- Amount: This is the purchase amount. Calculation could be entered here.
- Class: This option is also available exclusively in QuickBooks Online Plus. In case the version you are using is Plus and still this option is not visible to you then go to the Account and Settings or Company Settings and make sure that you turn it on.
- Billable: (This is Optional) This box could be selected in case you wanted to bill the purchase for the customer that is chosen at left. If you are unable to see this Billable column then there is a possibility that tracking of billable expense is turned off, you can go and check Account and Settings for this.
- Markup: (This is Optional) If Markup column is not visible then turn it on by going to the Company Settings or Account and Settings.
- Customer: If a credit is received by you for the expense that was billed previously to the customer, then make sure that same customer is chosen in credit and then choose Billable checkbox.
- Memo: (This is Optional) This will appear either in account history or register and also on the reports that have purchase included in it.
- Sales Tax: (It could be VAT, GST, TAX based upon what is visible to you) In case it is applicable add it.
- If the table of Item Details is visible to you then get the additional fields filled.
- For the customers of India, UK, France, Canada, Australia and all the international customers, if expense is visible to you then choose Print in order to get the voucher’s paper copy.
- In order to get another expense entered select Save and new or Save and close.
How to Edit An Expense in QuickBooks?
- Go to left menu and select Expenses
- Now in the window of Expense Transactions, make sure that the expense which you are looking forward to edit is selected
- Get the transaction updated
- Choose Save and Close
Important to Remember: By editing or changing the expense that is billed to the customer will also get the customer invoice changed.
Read This: Delete Multiple Transactions in QuickBooks
Issues users face while deleting the expense in QuickBooks
Users may face some issues while deleting expense in QuickBooks and one of the issue is: How to get the expense transaction of the vendor deleted in QuickBooks?
Need Professional Help?
To get the answer of this question and other such issues, you can directly get in touch with our SMB QuickBooks tech support helpdesk. Experts in SMB QuickBooks customer support team will help you to get the answer of all your questions. You can dial our smbaccountants.com to get in touch with our QuickBooks application help team.
Where do I find expenses in QuickBooks?
Steps to Enter Expenses in QuickBooks Press the plus sign (+) icon for the beginning step. This will open the menu page of the transaction. Choose Expense under the Vendor category.
How do I edit an expense in QuickBooks?
Go to the Expenses section from the left side of the menu. Next, choose Expenses and then select the expense to edit within the Expense Transactions window. Choose the View/Edit option under the Action column. Update your transaction as required. At last, hit the Save & Close option.
How can we delete an expense?
Go to the Expenses section from the left side of the menu. Next, choose Expenses and then select the expense to delete within the Expense Transactions window. Using the drop-down menu, select delete from the Action column. After that, hit “Yes” to confirm the delete process.
Where are expenses in QuickBooks?
After login into your QuickBooks account, go to the Vendors menu and you find all options on your screens such as Bill, expenses, and checks. This Expenses option is accessible for QuickBooks Desktop users including QuickBooks Pro or Premier users.
- QuickBooks Cash Basis Profit and Loss. Show P&L reports in cash basis with ease.
- How to Setup A Sales Discount in QuickBooks?
- Void & Delete A check in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks Online Time Entry
- QuickBooks Gift Cards Accounting: How to record gift purchases and spend?
- QuickBooks Error 6073
- Quickbooks Error 6129
- How do I Delete Received Payment in QuickBooks
- How to fix: QuickBooks can't start because it is already running
- Quickbooks Fund transfer form one bank to another