All you need to do is take a few easy steps on your account to erase an audit trail in QuickBooks. Don’t worry.
The QuickBooks Audit trail feature enables you to get a detailed track of the information like by whom and when the modification was made.
When you have more than one person using the QuickBooks file at a specific time then, for this situation, you should enable the Audit trail option by simply choosing the Audit Trail check box.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
- 1 What is an Audit Trail in QuickBooks?
- 2 Audit Trail Feature in QuickBooks 2019-22
- 3 How to Find & Erase an Audit Trail in Quickbooks
- 4 To get the history of a specific transaction follow the steps given below:
- 5 How to Use Audit Trails for Multiple User Access?
- 6 How to View The Transaction Modifications in The Audit Trail in QuickBooks?
- 7 How to Use The Audit Log in QuickBooks?
- 8 Where Can You Discover Audit Reports in QuickBooks?
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Infographic Of Solutions For Clear or Erase an Audit Trail in QuickBooks
What is an Audit Trail in QuickBooks?
The Audit Trail in QuickBooks is used to manage and track all the reports that are deleted, modified, or newly added transactions in your account. You can also track the lost transaction using the Audit trail feature in your QuickBooks desktop account. It becomes the life savior feature if you enable it in your account as it provides you the previous transactions that are no more in your account.
Audit Trail Feature in QuickBooks 2019-22
This feature in QuickBooks is handy. It gives you permission to see the history of the transactions and what and who made the changes in the report. If you are using the multi-user mode then it is a great feature for you to track and check the changes made in the transaction by others.
There is a list of features that you must know about. The features are as follows:-
- You can easily find the old account names that are merged with the new accounts
- Identify the transactions that are lost because of accidental deletion or the transaction that enter incorrectly
- Easy to track the user activity and the login time as well
- You can follow who can access the records and what tasks are done in the account
- It assists you in locating the transactions that are deleted and cause discrepancies in the bank reconciliation and opening balances.
How to Find & Erase an Audit Trail in Quickbooks
How To Find An Audit Trail In QuickBooks?
- Launch your QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Then go to the edit menu and select the preferences command.
- As soon as you select the preferences command preferences dialog box appears.
- Now you have to indicate that you wish to alter the preferences for the accounting of the company’s data file. For this, you will have to go to the icon bar that is located in the preferences dialog box at the left corner and then choose the set of preferences for the accounting.
- Next, you have to tap on the Company Preferences option.
- Further, indicate that you are willing to utilize the audit trail. You can do this in QuickBooks by simply marking the Use Audit Trail checkbox selected and then clicking on the OK button.
- Now your QuickBooks will start keeping a record of all the changes and modifications that the users updates.
- You can always customize your reports according to your needs you can change the display, fonts, resize, etc.
How To Erase An Audit Trail In QuickBooks?
1. Launch Quickbooks Desktop Software
First of all, you have to launch your QuickBooks Desktop software and then choose the File menu that is located on the left side of the QuickBooks window.
2. Search for Utility Option
Then in the drop-down list search for the utility option and select it.
3. Choose the Options Accordingly
Next, you have to either select the clean-up company data option or the condense data option. You have to select these options according to the versions of QuickBooks you are using because in some versions clean-up data is written as condensed data.
4. Choose The Range of Date
Now choose the range of date from when your audit trail is to be cleared or you can also choose the delete all transactions option.
5. Tick All The Check Box
After that, with the help of your mouse, you need to tick all the check-boxes that will appear on the instruction screens and this is how the audit trails for all the accounts and transactions will be erased.
6. Begin the Clean Up
At last, select the begin cleanup button to finish up the process.
You must respond to this information. If you need any further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask.
Read This: How to Clean Up QuickBooks?
Issues Faced While Using Audit Trails
- At times the users are not able to access and work with the functionality of audit logs.
- Users are unable to locate the history of some specific transactions.
You can see the changes in the log by clicking on the Gear icon and selecting the Audit Log option in the Tools section.
To get the history of a specific transaction follow the steps given below:
- Firstly you need to open the transaction that is to be examined.
- Then click on the More button at the bottom of the window.
- Next, choose the Audit History option.
- The audit history option will display the Audit Trail of this particular transaction. You can see the details by clicking on the show all button and by choosing the compare button you can easily make the comparisons.
How to find Audit Trail in QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, Desktop & Online
In QuickBooks Desktop, Pro, Premier, and Enterprise:-
- In the QuickBooks Desktop
- Click on the Reports menu option
- Then select the option Accountant and Taxes
- Further click on the Audit Trail.
In QuickBooks Online:-
- Open the QuickBooks Online
- Click on the Gear like icon that is on the top right side of the QuickBooks Online window
- From the drop-down menu, click on the Audit Log option.
How do I disable the audit trail in QuickBooks?
Once it is enabled, you are not able to disable the audit trail in QuickBooks. For this, you have to connect with the QuickBooks help desk team to do it.
How to Use Audit Trails for Multiple User Access?
Enable QuickBooks Audit Trail options to data file multi-user access. The audit trail allows you to keep a record of all the ongoing or past modifications to the QuickBooks data file. This feature is beneficial for the multiple users operating the company file. Here are the steps to enable the Audit Trails in QuickBooks:
- First of all select the Edit menu preference command
- It will display the preferences Window
- Specify that you need to modify an accounting preference regarding the company data file. To do this, here are the instructions:
- Firstly use the icon bar that appears at the left edge of the dialog box which says preferences
- It will allow you to choose the accounting set of preferences
- Once done, hit on the Company Preferences option
- Determine that you need to access an Audit trail. For this, choose the checkbox which says Audit Trail
- Hit on OK button; it will help to keep records of all the alterations on the accounting
How to View The Transaction Modifications in The Audit Trail in QuickBooks?
Below jotted is the list of pointers you need to follow to view the change in the Audit Trail:
- Firstly you need to locate the Recurring Transactions menu that appears in the QuickBooks
- Now this option will allow users to add, edit and perform modifications in the recurring transaction if needed
- In case a person needs to view the records based upon a particular date then discover the Audit History. Below listed is the information you can monitor in the Audit History:
- Name of the person who had made the changes
- When and what changes are done
- Make sure you have all the rights to see the Audit History
- Now open the desired transaction you need to discover
- Hit on the More button
- After this choose Audit History
- It will open the Audit Trail
- To view more details, you have to choose Show All and click on the Compare button
How to Use The Audit Log in QuickBooks?
- Firstly sign in as an admin mode
- Follow the steps:
- Locate the Setting option
- After that choose the Audit Log
- Click on Filter
- Discover the filter panel to use the fields to select the suitable user, date, or events filter to view the outcomes
- After this hit on Apply button
Things you need to know:
- The Audit log will display 150 records in a single time; if you need to know the past events then you have to choose the View that appears in the History column to display the audit History
- There will appear all the modifications you have done.
Where Can You Discover Audit Reports in QuickBooks?
The audit report is not the same as the Transaction history report. The audit report contains a detailed log. In case you are QuickBooks Desktop user then follow the below-written steps to access the audit log report:
- Discover Reports Option
- Choose the Accountant and Taxes button
- Hit on Audit Trail
- QuickBooks online user
Follow The Steps:
- Discover the Gear icon
- Click Audit Log
1. Tabs Available in the Audit Trail Window:
There are four tabs found in the Audit Trail Window.
- Fonts & Numbers
When you click on the Display button then you can get the date range, days, and the date when the transactions changed, and entered. Moreover, you can set the columns that display on the report.
The filter option is useful to search the transaction according to the amount, name, customer job, account, etc. to set a filter you have to choose the required option and then write the desired information in the middle. Once you have chosen the options filters to get applied and appear in the right corner of the filter option. To delete a filter, you have to left-click on it and then choose to remove the selected filter
This option is used to edit the content that appears on the header and footer of the report
Fonts and Number option:
It was designed to perform the modification on the report’s appearance. You can change the default report settings.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the Edit option
- Click on Preferences
- After that choose Reports and Graphs
- Now hit on the Company Preferences
- Click on the Format
Need Professional Help?
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
What is the QuickBooks Audit Trail?
QuickBooks keeps an internal Audit Trail record for tracking all the changes made in the company file in each transaction. It can be very useful for the accountant/bookkeeper to monitor users who made transaction adjustments, and other details such as amounts, etc. However, by the time the file increases in the number of transactions and other records, the audit trail increases by a factor of 2, and this result in an increase in file size.
Does Audit Trail elimination affect QuickBooks?
Removing the audit trail would not affect QuickBooks. It also helps you manage your data files, which lets your QuickBooks program run smoothly.
How do business owners use the audit trail report regularly?
Audit Trail report is mainly used by the business owner regularly for two reasons:
◼ As a control tool: The owner will search the list of users and transactions processed quickly to ensure that they access only the transactions to which they have been approved.
◼ As a training tool: It helps to find where many transactions removed or changed appear within the study.