Recording Reimbursable Expenses in QuickBooks
Method 1: Expense Account Method/Expense Tab
- While recording the expense that incur for customer tap on the tab of Expenses from Enter Bills, Enter Credit Card Changes or Enter Bills, based upon how the expenses are paid by you. Fill the screen normally as you would do.
- Now in the tab of Expense, choose the expense account that is appropriate and then from the column of Customer: Job choose appropriate customer, don’t check the column that has the icon of invoice above it, which is also labeled as Billable in QuickBooks later version.
- Do not forget to save this transaction.
- Then get the invoice generated for customer and then make sure that this transaction is dropped in the invoice after Time/Cost button is clicked.
Method 2: Cost Account Method/ Expense Tab
- Same as the Method 1, here also you have to click on the tab of Expenses from Write Checks, Enter Credit Card charges screen or Enter Credit, based upon the method you will use to pay the expense. Then normally fill the screen.
- Then go to tab of Expenses and select the COGS account. After that from the Customer: Job column choose appropriate customer. Unlike the Method 1, here you have to check billable column.
Method 3: Method of Items Tab
- Go to Item list and then get the new one, Other Charge item created. Tap on the box which says, “This item is used in assemblies or is a reimbursable charge.” By doing this the item will be set-up so that you can effectively use it on Enter Bills, Write Checks, Enter Credit Card Charges screen along with the invoice screen of customer.
- Fill the item having desired/appropriate COGS account on left hand-side and also the revenue account the desired one in right hand-side. Get all the information filled as needed.
- After that while entering bills, writing checks, or adding the charges of credit card for the reimbursable expenses, click on items tab instead of clicking on Expense tab, for selecting the item you created just now. Make sure that correct amount is filled and then do not forget to highlight the transaction as the reimbursable expense on the right side. Then save this transaction.
- When you are invoicing your customer, tap on the button of Time/Costs and after that click on the tab of Items. An item will appear, as soon as you select it, QuickBooks will place it on the invoice of customer. Then add the sales price along with other information. Make sure that this transaction is saved.
Issues Commonly faced by Users
What is the ‘reimbursed expenses’ account type on the Chart of Accounts?
For example, you are trying to record the payment in order to backtrack to get the taxes complete. Expenses were paid by the company and then they passed it directly to the client by including the GST amount, appropriate one.
Now, you wanted to know that whether you have to create the account for reimbursed expenses? What is going to be the type of this account? When the payment of invoice will be done then whether the client disbursement or reimbursed expense too was credited to the reimbursed expenses? You are now looking forward for a help that how journal entry could be entered. Invoice module is not used by you currently. Will client disbursement consider the income also?
Issues that are discussed here could be even more complicated or maybe you are unable to clearly specify them and mixing up the things. No matter what the situation is, SMB QuickBooks technical support team will always lend their helping hand to you. Get instant LIVE CHAT.
- Quickbooks change default invoice template in quickbooks 2015, 2016, 2017
- Install QuickBooks on Two Separate computers?
- How To Unvoid A Check In QuickBooks
- Add user to Quickbooks
- Quickbooks Assign Class to Multiple Transactions
- How to record a write off while working with Quickbooks premier
- Set up a new company file in QuickBooks 2016
- Vendor in QuickBooks
- What Does Split Mean In QuickBooks?
- Custom Invoice Fields in QuickBooks