Clients can undoubtedly import General Ledger Accounts (GL) into QuickBooks text files or Excel bookkeeping pages straightforwardly. Simply by using the steps discussed below; Users can properly import information from their General Ledger accounts. Before you proceed to the import step, there are a couple of things expected to consider that might help you in importing the General Ledger Accounts.
- 1 Before Importing the General Ledger Accounts, You Must Consider the Points.
- 2 How to Import General Ledger into Quickbooks Online, Pro, Enterprise, or Desktop
- 3 Alternate Steps to Import General Ledger into the QuickBooks Desktop
- 4 Last Word!
- 5 FAQ
- 5.1 How can I import General Ledger into QuickBooks quickly?
- 5.2 What are the essential parts that users need to import the General ledger into QuickBooks?
- 5.3 How would I add a new ledger account to import a general ledger into QuickBooks?
- 5.4 How can I import the general ledger in excel format to Quickbooks?
- 5.5 How do I import Excel general ledger into QuickBooks?
- 5.6 Can you import general journal entries into QuickBooks desktop?
- 5.7 How do I enter a General Ledger in QuickBooks Online?
- 5.8 How do I pull a General Ledger in QuickBooks?
Before Importing the General Ledger Accounts, You Must Consider the Points.
Keep the Following Information in mind:
1. Make a Backup of Your QuickBooks Company file
It is strongly suggested you first create a backup of your company to utilize to check or as a test before updating the current record. It might step through a few examinations to get your GL planning precisely how you wish.
At the point when you have prevailed with regards to bringing into the backup file, rehash the arrangement steps you needed to take on your backup file on your creation file. You can save by eliminating somewhat imported files from your creation system by utilizing the backup file.
Once done, you can create a backup of your company file then, import the Chart of Accounts.
- Open the Lists menu, then choose Chart of Accounts.
- Choose the Account drop-down, then hit Import from Excel.
- Click on Browse to choose the Excel file you want to import.
- Choose the file, then hit Open.
- Choose the Excel Sheet where the data you want to import is on.
- Map your accounts. Mapping your accounts tell QuickBooks how to import the data from your Excel sheet. The column headings in QuickBooks may be different from your Excel, so you’d need to match them.
- Enter a mapping name.
- Choose Account as Import type.
- Match the information under QuickBooks with the column headings in your Excel sheet.
- Hit Save.
- Click on Import. If it’s your first time importing, hit Yes.
2. Set Up Your QuickBooks Guidelines
QuickBooks authorizes the client to show a client’s name every time they log in to the AR account. QuickBooks allows users to indicate the name of the seller each time they access the Accounts Payable to Sales Tax. This will be the general record of sellers in the QuickBooks to which we will add all the sales tax numbers.
3. Map Your GL Accounts
Before you can import your account details into QuickBooks, you will want to map it correctly. It is necessary to check your mapping every time you add or change an account or use new changes, employee comp codes, or other things that could affect your GL.
How to Import General Ledger into Quickbooks Online, Pro, Enterprise, or Desktop
General ledger import into QuickBooks different versions, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
Total Time: 10 minutes
Click on the Gear button. This you can find on the top right panel of QuickBooks
Now click on the Import data button.
Click on the Accounts tab and upload your excel sheet in QuickBooks.
Alternate Steps to Import General Ledger into the QuickBooks Desktop
Your QuickBooks account can be imported with a variety of lists and transactions. Additionally, you may import data in a variety of file formats, such as IIF, CSV, and MS Excel. General Ledger data can be imported in one of two ways. Using an Excel sheet, you can import your data into QuickBooks. The alternative is to install the QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV toolbox. Once the toolbox is installed, you can import your data as a CSV file.
We will discuss two ways to import general ledger into QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online in this article.
Step 1: Introduce your Account Number
You will have to initially type your account numbers into the system to appropriately import your day-by-day or month-to-month general ledger for use in your accounting program.
- At first, sign in to your system
- Then, attempt to get to the setup menu
- Presently, go to the tab named (Store Settings) and afterward click on the message tab
- In the lower window, you can see Account Name.
- Under the equivalent, you will see a list of all accounts.
- Also, this account store is right presently for clients.
- Just enter the Account Number in the appropriate fields with the comparing list of your Chart of Accounts.
- Finally, utilize the (Save Store) button to save the progressions made.
Step 2: Create The General Ledger Files
You can import on a day-by-day or month-to-month foundation of your standard ledger into QuickBooks. General Ledger is automatically created whenever Holiday Saved starts from the store.
If you want to create a monthly GL, you will see a button labeled “Create GL <month>” at the bottom of the screen, with previous months listed. You can manually change the date of the end-of-day screen to upload the general ledger of the previous month.
Step 3: Importing
All the steps are taking part in the import of the General Ledger file into QuickBooks: First, open the company file.
- Next, go to the File menu which, you can see on the top menu bar
- Using the drop-down menu, you need to select Utilities >> Import >> IIF Files
- Finally, you will have to ask to choose the IIF file you want to import.
Step 4: Import General Ledger in QuickBooks Online & Desktop using Excel Sheet
To do this process, you have to open QuickBooks and keep the data import continuous using an excel sheet. Why when you will upload the excel sheet then it will be easy to use the general ledger option.
Here are the step to importing a general ledger in QuickBooks Desktop or Online, follow carefully the steps which is mentioned list below:
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Account
- After that, select the “gear icon”. It should be in the top right corner.
- Then, Click on the Import Data button
- Next, select the “Accounts” tab.
- Currently, you can browse the excel sheet and submit it to QuickBooks
Step 5: Add QuickBooks General Ledger using Import Excel and CSV Toolkit
You need to install QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV toolkit for this process. By doing this you can easily import the list in CSV format. Remember that this process cannot be reversed, so be sure to back up QuickBooks before starting this process.
Here are the steps to import general ledger in QuickBooks Desktop from Excel using QB Import Excel and CSV toolkit:
- Once you have installed the QuickBooks Import Excel & CSV Toolkit, save your file on the desktop.
- Then open the file by double clicking on QuickBooks import excel and csv.exe, when it is opened this will launch the “WinZip Self-Extractor” screen.
- Press the Browse option
- Now select the folder where you want to install the toolkit and press the OK button.
- After that click on unzip option and extract the content here
- After that select Close and the WinZip Self-Extractor screen will close.
- Then go to the selected folder and launch the QuickBooks Import Excel & CSV folder.
In QuickBooks, you can import exchanges and records in various file designs including CSV and MS Excel. General Journal Entries, Chart of Accounts, Vendor Types, Items, and more can be imported into your QuickBooks account. In the above data, we have shared how to import a general ledger into QuickBooks Desktop. Ideally, you have your question settled.
Need Professional Help?
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
How can I import General Ledger into QuickBooks quickly?
To import the General ledger file into QuickBooks, first of all, open your company file. Then, you have to choose the file menu. From the drop-menu options, open the utilities followed by import and then leads to the IIF files. Move forward with on-screen instruction until the program is not finished.
What are the essential parts that users need to import the General ledger into QuickBooks?
In general ledgers, they contain the four essentials that users usually need to import that are financial transactions, accounting periods, charts of accounts, and account balances to find better results.
How would I add a new ledger account to import a general ledger into QuickBooks?
Open your QuickBooks and then find the accounting tab and the chart in the Account section. Hit the next click on the new button and then choose the Account Type, detail Type, and then enter a beginning balance if you find one only. Once it’s finished then hit the Save and Close button to save all new changes.
How can I import the general ledger in excel format to Quickbooks?
When you import a general ledger from an excel file, you can only bring in account balances and details; individual transactions can’t be imported. To do this, you can click on the Gear icon in the upper-right to open the company menu, then click on Import Data. From there, select Accounts and follow the prompts (you can download a sample file there as well to make sure your formatting is correct) to import the list of accounts and their balances.
1. Go to the Gear icon.
2. Under Tools, choose Import data.
3. From the Import Data window, select Chart of accounts.
4. Click Browse, then choose the file you want to upload.
5. Select “Next” and then “Map your data.”
6. Click Next, then enter the Account Name, Type, and Detail Type in the Import window.
7. Hit Import.
How do I import Excel general ledger into QuickBooks?
1. To access the Lists menu, navigate to Chart of Accounts
2. Scroll down and click on the Account drop-down option.
3. From the available choices, opt for Import from Excel.
4. Locate and click on the Browse button to select the desired Excel file for importing.
5. Once you have chosen the file, click on Open to proceed.
Can you import general journal entries into QuickBooks desktop?
1. Go to the File menu.
2. Select Utilities then Import.
3. Select General Journal Entries.
4. Find and select the QBJ file you saved.
5. On the Add General Journal Entries window, you’ll see all the journal entries your accountant sent.
How do I enter a General Ledger in QuickBooks Online?
Create a journal entry
1. Click on the “New” button.
2. Choose “Journal entry” from the options.
3. In the first line, pick an account from the “Account” field.
4. Move to the next line and select the other account involved in the money transfer.
5. Double-check the amounts – the Credit column on one line should have the same value as the Debit column on the other line.
How do I pull a General Ledger in QuickBooks?
How to find the General Ledger Report
1. Navigate to the “Business overview” section and click on it.
2. Within the “Business overview” page, choose the “All” option.
3. Scroll to the bottom of your screen and click on “For My Accountant.”
4. Locate and select the “General Ledger” option.