- 1 Quickbooks Export to Excel Not Working and Excel Could Not Open The Data File
- 2 Export to Excel
- 3 Export Error
- 4 Excel Export Types
- 4.1 1. Solution One: QuickBooks Desktop Update
- 4.2 2. Solution Two: Configure The User Account Control settings
- 4.3 3. Solution Three: Again Install QuickBooks
- 4.4 4. Solution Four: For Checking Microsoft Excel Compatibility
- 4.5 5. Solution Five: Repair Microsoft Office
- 4.6 6. Solution Six: Check System Requirements of QuickBooks for MS Office
- 5 FAQs
Quickbooks Export to Excel Not Working and Excel Could Not Open The Data File
At times the QuickBooks users face problem that their QB software does not allow to export information to excel. If your QuickBooks export to excel is not working and It does not recognize excel that is installed in your system.Show More
This problem mainly arises when you update your QuickBooks software. If the update is not successful you are unable to export to excel (such as a transaction journal or account receivable aging report) or emailing reports as an Excel document.
The common way to resolve this issue s is to do a “repair” of the installation of Microsoft Office. This will re-register all the registry keys with Windows, and generally that lets QuickBooks recognize that Excel exists.Show Less
Exporting Quickbooks to Excel Issues
The issues usually faced by quickbooks user because of which they are unable to export to excel are:Show More
- When excel is not support by the quickbooks version you are using,
- Your MS Excel software is damaged,
- Your Quickbooks software might be damaged.
- Your file registry is not working properly.
How can you fix the Issue where exporting to excel has failed?
When QuickBooks fails to export a transaction journal report to Excel, export via the Customer Center you can follow the steps mentioned below:Show More
- Open the Customer Center
- Locate the transaction in the transactions pane
- Right-click on the transaction you want to see a transaction journal
- Select transaction journal
- Go to the Excel button and choose Create New Worksheet to export your report to Excel
Item List needs to be opened first, and then open your report
Usually this issue crops up if you attempt to approach your report when you were previously on a transaction form (Invoice, Sales Order, Purchase Order, Bill, etc). If you open the report after being on a non-transaction form (such as the Item list of Chart of Accounts), the report will be able to export to Excel.Show More
- Go to List -> then open Item List
- Open any report you want under the reports menu.
- Export to Excel by clicking the Excel drop down or email as Excel by clicking the Email button.
In this scenario you must report the problem to QuickBooks customer care support. They are highly responsive and promptly provide the rectification through different modes like phone support, email support or live chat. They are easily approachable and assure complete resolution in shortest wait time.
Tracking or monitoring your business is very important to ensure the survival of the fittest in the competitive business environment.
To help you achieve your goal, QuickBooks has introduced a wide range of products. Through these products, you not only get a chance to track your organizational transactions but also enjoy managing your customers and clients easily.
QuickBooks comes with The Report Center feature that enables businesses to monitor different processes and functions, including income, expense, and overall company status.Show Less
Export to Excel
For a table-like presentation of data, there are times when you have to opt for Export to Excel option. However, there have been instances where the exporting function fails due to some reasons. The QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error is quite common while you attempt to exporting reports to excel.Show More
Before you go into the details of what issues and errors arise while exporting reports to excel as well as how to fix those errors, you should go through the steps for exporting to excel quickly.Show Less
Steps to Export to Excel
To export reports to excel, you can:
Total Time: 3 minutes
In QuickBooks, choose Company
Select Profit & Loss Standard
Go to Reports, Company and Financial, and select Profit & Loss Standard(you can select the report option you want to work on. Profit & Loss Standard is an example in this case)
Create New Worksheet
➤ Click Excel and go to Create New Worksheet
➤ Click Export. The file opens in MS-Excel
➤ Now shift to QuickBooks again, click Exceland then Create New Worksheet
Go to Send Report to Excel
➤ Click Create a comma separated values (.csv) file
➤ Now click Give a file name
➤ Click Save
When you follow the above-mentioned steps but you are still unable to export the files and reports, it means you are facing the QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error. The export excel error normally arises when you attempt to upgrade your QuickBooks software.
The unable to export to Excel after updating to QuickBooks 2016 is the most common of all scenarios that lead to the problems of export to Excel.
The QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error is caused when:
- One or more than one accounts in accounting CS contain the same description as provided in QuickBooks but then the account type is different for both accounting CS and QuickBooks account type.
- The export to excel function does not recognize the exported transactions’ accounts. This may happen because the QuickBooks account numbers do not match the CS account numbers.
- The QuickBooks Transaction account details don’t match the CS accounting account details.
When you face the Unable to Export to Excel error, you come across the following issues:
- Damaged MS Excel software
- Damaged QuickBooks software
- Illegitimate or improper file registry
- Excel version not supported by QuickBooks version or vice-versa
As soon as an error is discussed, the immediate thing that strikes the mind is the solution to the problem. The steps that will help you to resolve the issue are as follows:
- Go to Customer Center. Open it
- In the transaction pane, locate the transaction
- Select the transaction. Right-click it to have a look at the transaction journal
- Select the transaction journal
- Click the Excel button
- Choose Create New Worksheet. This will export the report to Excel.
Make sure you have not left any of the transaction forms open while exporting the file or report to Excel. The transaction forms may include Invoice, Sales Order, and Purchase Order Bill. However, if you have a non-transaction form opened, the export to Excel function will surely work. The Item List of Chart of Accounts is an example of such non-transaction form.
Hence, it is important to open the Item List first and then go for the export function. To do this, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Select Go to List
- Choose Open Item List
- Go to the Report Menu
- Open the report you want to export
- As the report opens, you can either:
- Click Excel drop downto export to Excel, or
- Email as excel by clicking on the Email button
Excel Export Types
As soon as you resolve the issue, you start your attempt to export the report to Excel. However, before you do so, it is important to be aware of the export types you can choose from.
Are you looking forward to the information about QuickBooks 2016 or 2017 Unable to Export to Excel? But have not got much information and you are not able to fix it out. Here is the detailed information so that you can implement it on your own. In case, you are stuck or need any kind of assistance then do connect with the QuickBooks helpdesk team. As we at smbaccountants.com are available 365 days a year to help you by providing all the solutions for your issues or queries. Feel Free to Chat with Us or Call on +1866-5400-865
Various Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Excel Could Not Open The Data File
1. Solution One: QuickBooks Desktop Update
Many times the issue happens when you are using the old version of QuickBooks; in other words it is not up to date. You have to firstly update your QuickBooks account to the latest version. To update QuickBooks Desktop there are 2 ways that are as follows:-
A. Manual Update
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop as an Administrator
- Then click on the Help menu option
- Further, select the option Update QuickBooks
- Click on the Option Mark all and select the Save option to save the download you are updating
- Now click on the Update Now and click the option Reset Update
- Click on the button shown to you Get Updates
- When it is done reboot the software.
B. Automatic Update
- In your system, open QuickBooks Desktop
- Select Help menu option from the top
- Further drop-down options click on the Update QuickBooks
- Click on the button Update Now
- Now select the update and then move to the Get updates button to click
- After that, it start downloading the update
- Install the updates and then restart QuickBooks software
- Accept all the options for downloading the latest version and continue with the latest update.
2. Solution Two: Configure The User Account Control settings
- In your system, press the keys Windows + R together to open the Run window
- In the Run window, type the Control Panel and press the enter button
- You can also directly search in the start menu for Control Panel and press the Enter button
- In the Start menu, there is the option name Control Panel you have to click on it to open it
- Select the User Accounts then again click on the User Accounts option
- Click on the option Change User Account Control Settings
- Then you have to move the slider and set it to never notify option
- After that click on the OK button after disabling the UAC
- Set the slider again as Always Notify then click on the OK button to enable the UAC.
3. Solution Three: Again Install QuickBooks
In this, you have to uninstall and then reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop software in your computer.
The steps are as follows:-
- After uninstalling the software, it is important to again install it in your computer to start working
- Go to the downloaded file and then double click on it
- It prompts the installation wizard in which you have to select the recommended installation
- Follow instructions for the installation that you get on your screen
- In the end, wait for progress bar and click on Finish button
- You have to open the software as the administrator and start using it.
4. Solution Four: For Checking Microsoft Excel Compatibility
You have to run the Microsoft Excel according to your Windows version and QuickBooks Desktop Software version. Update your windows and then update the QuickBooks desktop. After all this, update the Microsoft office that is compatible with your QuickBooks account according to the software compatibility.
5. Solution Five: Repair Microsoft Office
The repair process is automatic. you just have to run the repair using the Control Panel.
The steps are:-
- Open the Control Panel
- Then go to the Programs or Programs and Features option
- Further you get the list of programs
- Select Microsoft Office and right-click on it
- Then click on Change/Uninstall
- Go for the repair process and follow the instructions.
After this, if the above repair process won’t work then do follow the below process:-
- Uninstall the MS Office from your system
- Now again download the latest version
- After that install it in your system
- Download and install the uninstall support tool according to your browser
- If you are using Firefox browser
- In firefox, you get a pop-up window when you download the Uninstall support tool
- In the pop-up box, click on the Save File
- After that, select the download option that is in the upper-right-side menu of browser
- select the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- If you are using Microsoft Edge or Chrome
- In this browsers, the download is shown in the button left corner of the window
- Right-clicking on the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe file
- Select the option Open the file.
- If you are using Microsoft Edge (Older version) or Internet Explorer
- In this browser the downloaded file is shown in the bottom of the window
- Click on the Run button that runs the file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- If you are using Firefox browser
- After running the file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe in your system
- You have to select the Office version you are using that you want to uninstall
- Now click on the Next button and then follow the instructions displayed to you
- When it asks for Restart your computer then click on it
- the uninstall tool opens up when the restart of computer process is done
- Follow the rest of instructions
- then select the steps to install or again install the Microsoft Office
- Close the Uninstall support tool.
6. Solution Six: Check System Requirements of QuickBooks for MS Office
Microsoft Office related requirements required for QuickBooks 2019, 2020, or 2021 version. You have to check that it must be fulfilled.
The requirements according to QuickBooks version are as follows:-
A. For QuickBooks 2019
- MS Office 2010, 2013, and 365 on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook on both 32 and 64-bit
- To export reports requires MS Excel 2010, 2013, 2016, and 265
- For letters, you have to use Microsoft Word 2010, 2013, 2016, or Office 365
- For synchronizing with Outlook, you require the QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook. In this, the Outlook you required is MS Outlook 2010
- The email estimates, invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2016 to 2019 MS Outlook with MS office 365, Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail, and other SMTP email clients.
B. For QuickBooks 2020
- Microsoft Office 2010 SP2, Office 2013, and 365 that includes Outlook 2010 and 2013 on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2019 that is compatible with the R3 and later
- Export reports using microsoft Excel 2010 SP2, 2013, 2016, or 365
- Synchronize contacts with the Microsoft Outlook using Outlook 2010 32-bit
- Invoices, email estimates, and more forms with MS Office Outlook 2010 to 2016, MS Outlook with Office 365, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Outlook, and other email clients supporting SMTP
- For preparing the letters, you require MS Word 2010, 2013, 2016, or office 365
C. For QuickBooks 2021
- Microsoft Office 2019
- MS Office 2013 with Outlook and Office 365 on 32 and 64-bit both
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook 2016 on both 32 and 64-bit
- For making letters that requires Microsoft Word 2013, 2016, 2019, orOffice 365 that includes the 64-bit
- MS Outlook require Outlook 2013, 2016, or 2019 (32-bit) for contact synchronization
- The many other forms, email estimates, and invoices with MS Outlook 2016 to 2019
- Microsoft Outlook with MS Office 365, smtp email clients, Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook
- For synchronizing with Outlook, you require QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook.
You may also like to read:
Need Professional Help?
Why export is done in QuickBooks?
The export is done to restore the data in your QuickBooks account from the backup. Another thing is that you can easily export the customers, vendors, Chart of Accounts, reports, and items to the QuickBooks so that you don’t have to add it manually to the QuickBooks account.
What to do to export the files to Excel?
💠 Update your QuickBooks account
💠 Check the requirements of the system
💠 Repair the MS Office
💠 Disable the UAC (User Account Control)
💠 Again install the QuickBooks.
What kind of data can be exported?
You can export the Chart of Accounts, Items, Reports, Sales Order, Invoices, Bills, Customers, Vendors,s and more. Means all the data that is used in your company as everything is important so you don’t have to miss anything.
- Transaction Pro Importer for QuickBooks
- Import CSV into Quickbooks Pro, Online, Enterprise or Desktop
- Export invoices from quickbooks online 2016 to excel
- Import qbw file to QuickBooks Online
- Perform QuickBooks Export Transactions to Another Company File in No Time!
- How to Import QuickBooks Data into TurboTax
- How to Import Accountant’s Copy in Quickbooks
- Export Invoice from QuickBooks?
- Export QuickBooks Customer List
- How to Import Transactions into QuickBooks from Excel?