QuickBooks is one of the most widely used and frequently preferred accounting management application software across the globe, specifically for small & medium scale business. The application provides to all its users a plethora of services which include billing, invoicing, executing live transactions with configured bank accounts and so on.
With the wide range of services, there are a lot of technical issues and glitches as well which customers face on a day to day basis, which are mainly related to data issues, network problems, application crashing on start-up, transactions failing and so on. All these issues come under the purview of the customer support team of QuickBooks who make sure that all glitches are resolved in a prompt manner.
Now, amongst technical and functional issues, ‘unrecoverable issues’ are mostly caused when any of the transactions or operations abruptly stops or is interrupted due to any system specific issues. In most of such cases, the system prompts users to restart their QuickBooks application, or the application itself crashes and hangs up.
- 1 Common Unrecoverable Error Codes
- 2 When you run into this problem, there are a few things to keep in mind
- 3 Causes Behind The QuickBooks Unrecoverable Errors
- 4 Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable Error
- 5 Important Pointers Must be Taken into Consideration
- 6 Solutions to Fix Common QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
- 6.1 Solution 1: Determine The Number of Users Who are Affected
- 6.2 Solution 2: Suppress your QuickBooks Desktop
- 6.3 Solution 3: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- 6.4 Solution 4: Open the sample Company file
- 6.5 Solution 5: Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop Application
- 6.6 Solution 6: Create a new Windows Administrator
- 7 QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error 2014
- 8 QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error 2016
- 9 QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error on Start-up
- 10 QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Saving Files
- 11 How to resolve QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
- 12 QuickBooks unrecoverable error for QuickBooks 2014, QuickBooks 2016
- 13 QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Printing
- 14 How to fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when printing
- 15 FAQ
Common Unrecoverable Error Codes
These are some of the most common causes of Unrecoverable Errors, as well as the codes that may be associated with them. The error number you receive may differ from what is displayed due to the random nature of the errors.
The list is not exhaustive, and you may encounter an error that differs from the ones listed:
- Error code 02457 79428
- Error code 00000 15204
- Error code 15563 13890
- Error code 20103 33023
- Error code 13824 75582
- Error code 19758 63847
- Error code 20888 41171
- Error code 00551 46274
- Error code 00000 14775
- Error code 00227 55008
- Error code 13730 84631
When you run into this problem, there are a few things to keep in mind
Unrecoverable errors can arise in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Creating a backup
- Downloading a payroll update
- Running Verify or rebuild
- Creating a company file
- Attempting to open a company file
- Closing any open window in a company file
- Creating a portable update
- Sending payroll via Direct Deposit
- Using the Open Previous Company feature
- Saving a transaction
- Opening any window in QuickBooks like Company Snapshot, Transaction, Home Page, Reports.
Where, XXXXX denotes one of the unrecoverable error codes.
Causes Behind The QuickBooks Unrecoverable Errors
- Due to the network issue.
- The QuickBooks component is corrupted.
- Outage of power supply.
- Problem with QuickBooks company file at a time of login(network blimps) .
- Also data integrity issue with Company file.
- The error will appear if a QuickBooks component is corrupted or damaged.
- If a network hiccup occurs when a user is logged in to the QB Company file.
- If there are any Windows or QuickBooks updates that are missing.
- Your data has been damaged, or your application code needs to be repaired.
- It’s possible that your computer is having problems.
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable Error
It’s highly important that a user is aware of all the signs and symptoms of the QuickBooks Desktop Unrecoverable error. This will assist them in quickly identifying the problem and arriving at a reasonable solution before further productivity loss occurs.
So, these are the indications of a QB Unrecoverable Error:
- The QB desktop window becomes unresponsive.
- QuickBooks Desktop crashes the moment it is launched.
- The update process freezes or takes hours to complete.
- QuickBooks Desktop freezes, preventing the user from working.
- The transactions will be unable to be saved in the company file by the user.
- QuickBooks Desktop will not receive a software update.
- When doing a specific task, the software will crash.
- The user will be unable to locate a previously saved transaction in the company file.
Important Pointers Must be Taken into Consideration
Before preceding the troubleshooting, make sure
Step 1: Update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release
QuickBooks Desktop can be updated automatically or manually. When you enable Automatic Updates, QuickBooks automatically downloads and installs the most recent updates as soon as they become available. Check for updates at least once a month if you opt to do them yourself.
If there is any new update available, you can perform the below steps to update the latest update release:
- The very first, download the latest updates
- Close the company files as well as QuickBooks
- Next, press the Windows Start menu to open it
- Look for the QuickBooks Desktop and then do a right-click on the icon
- Select the “Run as an Administrator” option
- Move to the “No Company Open” screen and select the Help menu
- After that, select the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option
- Now, go to the tab called “Update Now”
- Then select the checkbox “Reset Update”
- Once everything is set then select the “Get Updates” option.
Once the updates are successfully done then open your QuickBooks Desktop once again. Select the “Yes” button to install the updates. After the installation process, restart your PC once again.
Step 2: Create a backup of your company file
- Go to the File menu and then select the option “Switch to Single-user Mode”
- Next, move to the File menu once again and hover over the “Back up Company”
- After that, select the option “Create Local Backup”
- In the next window, select the “Local Backup” >> “Next”
- Go to the “Local Backup Only” section and select the Browse
- After that, select the location where you want to save your backup company file
- Set the number of backups that you want to keep (Optional)
- This runs a test to make sure that your backup file is in good shape before you save it
- Once everything is set then select the “Ok” button
- Select the option “Save it Now” and then the “Next” button. QuickBooks saves a single company file as a backup. You’ll receive a confirmation message once it’s completed.
- Every time when you get an unrecoverable error, select the “Send” option. The data gathered will aid Intuit in developing patch updates to improve the application.
Solutions to Fix Common QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
To quickly resolve QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error, you can try a few different approaches. Here are few of the solutions available to get rid of the error:
Solution 1: Determine The Number of Users Who are Affected
Note: If you don't use a username to open your company files or if no other users can open it, move on to solution 2.
Determine how many users are impacted by using a different login credential to open the same company file. If the issue only affects one person, that user’s credential may be compromised. If this is the case, rebuild the damaged user.
A frequent user is damaged
- Select Set Up Users and Passwords >>> Set Up Users from the Company menu
- Users in the Enterprise: Select Users >>> Set Up Users and Roles from the Company menu
- Choose “Add User” and fill in the username and password then select the “Next” option
Note: Do not use the username that has been damaged.
- Make any necessary changes to the user and then click Finish
- Select Close Company/Logoff from the File menu
- Use the new login credential to access the company file.
When the Admin user is damaged
From the QuickBooks Tool Hub, run the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This tool assists you in the correction of frequent unrecoverable errors. To use the tool hub, QuickBooks must be closed.
Step 1: Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- First, close your QuickBooks Desktop software
- Next, you have to download the most recent version (18.104.22.168) of QB Tool Hub
- Save the file somewhere you can easily find the same
Note: If you can figure out which version of Tool Hub you have if you've installed it before. The Home tab will appear. The latest version will be found at the bottom of the page.
- Now, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file that you have downloaded
- Perform the instructions that appears on your screen and also agree to the terms and conditions
- After the installation completes then double-click on the Windows desktop in order to open the Tool Hub.
Step 2: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
- Select Company File Issues from the tool hub
- Choose Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the drop-down menu
- The file doctor can take up to one minute to open, if the QuickBooks File Doctor does not open, look for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and manually open it
- Select your company file from the drop-down option in QuickBooks File Doctor
- If you don’t see your file, choose Browse and search to locate it
- Select Check the file (just the middle choice) and then Proceed
- Select “Next” after entering your QuickBooks admin password.
The length of time it takes to scan your files is determined by their size. It can take up to 5 minutes in most circumstances. Open QuickBooks and your company file after the scan is complete. Even if the scan resolves your problem, it may report that it failed.
Solution 2: Suppress your QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: When starting QuickBooks, disable the desktop
- Firstly, together press and hold the Ctrl key
- To open QuickBooks, double-click the program’s icon
- Keep pressing the Ctrl key until the window No Company Open appears.
Step 2: Suppress the Desktop while opening the Company File
- From the No Company Open window, choose the desired company file
- Select “Open” while holding down the Alt key
- If you’re asked for your login details, let go of the Alt key and type in your user name and password
- Important: Do not release the Alt key if you are not prompted for your user name and password.
- Hold down the Alt key when selecting OK. Wait until your file is entirely open before releasing the Alt key.
Important Note: QuickBooks will show you a blank screen. Your company file is totally open if you can highlight a QuickBooks menu by simply holding your pointer over it.
Solution 3: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
QuickBooks will shut down any lingering background processes as a result of the Quick Fix. Your program will undergo a brief repair.
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Select the “Quick Fix My Program” from the drop-down menu.
Solution 4: Open the sample Company file
Opening a sample company file can assist you figure out whether the issue is with your company file or with QuickBooks.
- If the sample file opens, it’s possible that your company file or the folder where it’s saved is damaged. Copy the file to a different location and see if it helps.
- If the error persists, restore your file using a recent backup or ADR. If your backup or ADR isn’t enough to get you back on track, try some simple data damage troubleshooting.
- Proceed to the next solution if the sample file produces the same error message.
Open the Sample file
- Select the “Open a sample file” from the No Company Open window.
- Choose an example file from the list.
To transfer the Company files to a new location.
Copying and opening the company file from a different location can reveal whether the folder where it is saved is corrupted or “too deep,” exceeding the file system path limit. If you get the same issue after relocating the company file to a different location, your QuickBooks installation or the company file is most likely corrupted.
- Select the New >>> Folder from the right-click of anywhere on your Desktop screen
- QBTEST is the name of the folder
- Open the folder containing the company file
- Copy the file by right-clicking it
- Copy the company file and paste it into the QBTEST folder you made
- From the QBTEST folder, open the company files.
Solution 5: Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Repair the QuickBooks Desktop
- Choose Installation Issues and then QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Select Clean Install Tool in the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Microsoft components must be repaired manually
- Consult an IT Professional or Microsoft if you are unsure about any of these processes
- Reinstall or fix Framework for Microsoft.NET
- Repair MSXML developed by Microsoft
- Uninstall and then reinstall the program Visual C++ by Microsoft.
Solution 6: Create a new Windows Administrator
Windows 7 and 8
- To open the Run window, press the Windows + R from your keyboard
- Select Ok after typing Control Panel within the Search box
- Choose User Accounts and then Manage a different account
- Select Create a new account, then type in the new account’s name
- Create an account after selecting Administrator.
- Press the Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run window
- Select the Ok button after typing Control Panel within the Search box
- Choose User Accounts >>> Manage another account >>> Other accounts >>> Add an account from the drop-down menu
- Select Local account and then Sign in without a Microsoft account (not advised)
- Select Next after entering the user name, password, and password hint
- The Manage Other Accounts screen will appear again
- Edit the newly created account after selecting it
- The new user’s role is set to standard by default
- Select Administrator from the drop-down menu and then click on the Ok button.
- Select the Settings >>> Accounts >>> Family & other users from the Start menu
- Select Add someone else to this PC under Other Users
- Add a user without a Microsoft account after selecting “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”
- Select the “Finish” tab once you’re done with entering the new account details
Suggestion: To ensure security, give the new account a password.
- Choose Account Type after selecting the newly created account
- Select the Administrator tab and then click the Ok button.
Windows Server 2012
Servers are frequently maintained by computer technicians who are licensed. Before proceeding with the instructions in this section, consult with your IT specialist.
- Open the Server Manager program
- Select Tools >>> Computer Management from the drop-down menu
- Select Groups after expanding “Local Users and Groups”
- To access the Administrator Properties box and double-click on the Administrator Groups Next, select the “Add” option
- Enter the account you wish to add to the local admin groups in the Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups window
- Finally, choose the Ok tab.
Windows Small Business Server 2011 and 2008/R2
- Use the Windows SBS (2011/2008) console to launch it
- Go to the Users tab after selecting Users and Groups
- Select Add a new user account from the Tasks pane to launch the Add a New User Account wizard
- Fill in the blanks and then choose a role for the new user
- For the new user, create a password
- You will not be able to proceed without first entering a password
- The password must be complicated enough to meet the requirements
- Choose the option “Add a User”
- Select the “Finish” tab when you’ve completed the rest of the instructions.
QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error 2014
The 2014 version of QuickBooks often threw a QuickBooks unrecoverable error message to users specifically when the users tried to open, close or switch a file. This error was known to Intuit as well, and was reported in the support forums to be catered to by the technical support team of QuickBooks.
The main cause of QuickBooks unrecoverable error was due to the users closing all the QuickBooks files at once. A frequent use case for the same was when users browsed to the ‘File’ option, and then selected the ‘Close Company’ or ‘Log off’ option. The ‘unrecoverable error’ message pops up, and the application shuts down.
In order to cater to this issue, users need to launch QuickBooks, and then sign in to the company file for which the error was thrown. Post this, user needs to close each of the company file (in the form of active windows) one at a time, and not all at once. This would mostly solve the purpose.
QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error 2016
The QuickBooks unrecoverable error can at times be extremely challenging to be deciphered and debugged, and the error does not clearly mention the source of the issue. There can be a plethora of issues which can point to this ‘unrecoverable error’ which includes network related issues (specifically in case of distributed computing), data base connectivity errors, port related issues, third party connecting software problems and many more.
Other than that, QuickBooks unrecoverable error can also be thrown when there is any issue with the installation of the .NET framework as QuickBooks refer to the .NET framework to execute the transactions. Users in such cases need to uninstall .NET from their system, delete all the files related to the .NET installation, and then install the latest version of the framework.
A possible way to fix such issues in the 2016 version is to cross check the machine configuration file which is created during the installation process. At times, certain irrelevant entries get added to the file, causing the system to crash and throw unexpected error messages.
QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error on Start-up
The ‘QuickBooks unrecoverable error’ thrown during starting the QuickBooks application mostly spawns up when either the application or the system went through an upgrade. Many users have observed that once they upgrade their Intuit software, they find it extremely difficult to open their QuickBooks company files, thereby throwing the QuickBooks unrecoverable error.
In order to better cater to this issue, Intuit has released a patch which has been delivered to users. An easy fix to this issue is to open the QuickBooks application by pressing the ‘ctrl’ key. This would not open any company file by default. Post this, the user needs to go to the ‘help’ option and upgrade the QuickBooks application.
Once the application is upgraded, users can close the QuickBooks app, and then restart it normally. The ‘unrecoverable error’ would be resolved.
QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Saving Files
The source of the ‘unrecoverable error’ is almost the same in case of ‘saving the QuickBooks as PDF’ as it is while printing. Users need to follow the same approach to configure the Windows XPS writer, and install the related files again before trying to save their QuickBooks data.
In all of these cases, users have round the clock access to the technical support team of QuickBooks who not only ensures that the error is trouble shot promptly but also the customers are made aware of the best practices on how to leverage the QuickBooks application.
How to resolve QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
Multiple steps have to be followed by the user to properly resolve QuickBooks unrecoverable error for QuickBooks 2014, QuickBooks 2016, error on start-up and error when saving files. Further, you must troubleshoot the error by checking for various bugs. This will help you in ascertaining the main cause of the error. Also, before proceeding with these steps, update your QuickBooks accounting software and create a backup of the company file.
QuickBooks unrecoverable error for QuickBooks 2014, QuickBooks 2016
Follow the steps given below to resolve QuickBooks unrecoverable error for QuickBooks 2014, QuickBooks 2016, error on start-up and error when saving files :
- Check the for number of users affected from this error
- Check for error by logging in into different user accounts
- All the user account in which the error pops up need to be recreated. Open the Company menu
- Click on ‘Set up Users and Passwords’
- Select Set Up Users
- Click On Add Users
- Enter a different username for the user that you are recreating
- Click on Next and Hit finish
- Close all company files
- Hold the CTRL key when you open QB
- Close all the company files
- Select the company that you want to optn. Click On Open
- Enter credentials for logging in
- Click ok
- Create a sample file and test if the error arises for this new sample file as well.
- Restart QB while pressing CTRL.
- No Company Open window will pop up.
- Select Open a sample file.
- Check weather the error is arising in this new sample company file.
- Go to the folder in which QuickBooks is installed. In the base directory you can find reboot.bat. Open the file and type Y and hit enter. QB will be registered again.
- Repair QuickBooks.
- Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool or go to control panel.
- Select program and features.
- Click on QuickBooks and Hit Repair. Wait for the wizard to complete the repair process.
Note: If in the first step you found that the error was occurring due to the administrator account then you need to download and install QuickBooks File Doctor and Diagnostic tool in order to fix the error. The setup and program will guide you through the whole process of resolving this error.
You can also create a new windows user in order to test the software for errors. This can be done by logging in into an administrator account. After that, go to Control Panel> Users> Create a new User. Enter name of the user and give it administrative privileges for testing purposes. Log into this new user and open QB. Check if the arises or not. If the error still persists then feel free to contact our certified QB experts.
QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when Printing
‘Unrecoverable errors’ are also caused due to printing issues or when users tend to save their QuickBooks to PDF format. In fact, users cannot even open the printer settings to check if there are any issues on that front. This error also pops up generally after an application upgrade.
Users in such cases need to remove the printer from their control panel, and then re-configure the same. This includes installation of the driver application, add the printer, make the necessary settings & configurations. This should solve the printer related issues.
How to fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error when printing
QuickBooks unrecoverable error can arise due to multiple reasons. Usually this error occurs due to an unupdated QB software. You can simply update the software in order to fix the problem. After updating the software, update the print device as well. Download files for both can be easily found on the internet.
Need Professional Help?
What QuickBooks’ unrecoverable error defines?
QuickBooks’ unrecoverable error defines as random errors which usually happen due to improper installation or data damage in QuickBooks. It also appears while repairing the system issues.
How do I update my QuickBooks to fix all QB unrecoverable errors?
From your QuickBooks home, open the “Help menu” and then choose the “Update QuickBooks” option. Hit the “Update Now” button. Choose the updates you want to download and then open the “Get Updates” menu. After this, close and restart the QuickBooks software, and a window will pop-up on your screen if you wish to install the update now or later as per your according.
What is the common way to resolve the QuickBooks unrecoverable error?
Firstly, press the ALT while hitting the double-click on the QuickBooks application icon. After a while, guidelines will update on your screen for the new user update. After this, release the ALT key and then write in your password. Once the application launches hit the OK button and release the ALT key and you are all done with this program.
- Memorized Reports in QuickBooks not working: Re-sort QuickBooks to Fix Problems
- QuickBooks Data Recovery: How to Recover Deleted QB Files?
- Quickbooks Unable to Register? – [Solved]
- QuickBooks Error 15102
- QUICKBOOKS WAS UNABLE TO FINISH THE PROCESS USING THE INTERNET
- Olsu1013: I get this error while setting up online banking. How to get rid of it?
- QuickBooks Connection Has Been Lost
- Quickbooks already has a company file open
- Start a new company in quickbooks. "Something has gone wrong"
- Quickbooks Has Stopped Working Error in 2014, 2015, 2016