“The file exists” error message is seen when users download a payroll update, open a form or make payments.
You may stand up to QuickBooks errors if the record exists while dealing with various accounting highlights like paying planned liabilities, opening a state/government structure, and downloading finance updates. You will see the error message on the screen saying that “The file you indicated can’t be opened. Ensure that it’s anything but at present being utilized by another program or a read-just record.” Also, you may get the error message saying, “The Windows error was that the document exists.”
The error QuickBooks the windows error was the document exists may seem due to different reasons. Before coming to the arrangements, you need to know the explanations behind the error.
- 1 What is the reason behind QuickBooks Windows Error The File Exists?
- 2 Solution One: Quickbooks Windows Error “The File Exists”
- 3 Further Steps:
- 4 FAQ
What is the reason behind QuickBooks Windows Error The File Exists?
Here are the explanations behind the QuickBooks error the document exists:
- Windows User Account Control is meddling with QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks clients don’t have accreditations to get to Windows.
- The web association is performing gradually on your framework.
- Improper web and Firewall security settings in your PC.
- The QuickBooks Desktop application is obsolete.
- An error message is apparent while installing QuickBooks. Jobs
Solution One: Quickbooks Windows Error “The File Exists”
The error occurs when a file is read incorrectly. To fix the problem, these steps must be taken:
- First, choose OK for the error message.
- If the error recurs, users must choose OK as long as the update isn’t complete.
- Once done, close QuickBooks and reopen it.
- Next, users must ensure that QuickBooks is up to date.
- After updating, the computer must be restarted, and users must use QuickBooks as administrator.
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
If the error persists, users must take the steps mentioned below.
1. Windows 7, 8 and 10
- First, open ‘User Account Control Settings’. To do so, go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- In Windows 7, press the Windows button and then ‘Control Panel’
- In Windows 8, type ‘Control Panel’ in the ‘Start’ menu and then click the Control Panel app to open it.
- In Windows 10, choose ‘Search’ icon in the task bar and type in ‘Control Panel’. And then click on the ‘Control Panel’ app.
- Next, type ‘UAC’ in the search box and choose ‘Change User Account Control’ settings.
- Then, complete one of these tasks:
- Turn UAC off: Select ‘Never notify’ in the slider and then OK. Provide password or confirmation, if prompted and restart the computer to apply the changes.
- Turn UAC on: Using the slider, select when you want notification and then choose OK. Provide password or confirmation, if prompted.
1. Configuring the firewall
Errors might occur if the system firewall blocks QuickBooks programs or files from accessing the internet. The issue can be resolved by updating to the latest release of the firewall or manually configuring the firewall.
2. Running Reboot.bat
- First QuickBooks Desktop must be closed and then the folder containing the reboot.bat file opened.
- To do this, users must right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select Properties
- Open file location.
- Then, users must right-click on the reboot.bat file and select ‘Run as Administrator’.
Note: The reboot.bat file ‘must’ be run by the Windows Administrator. Based on the ‘Windows Folder Options Settings’, the file may appear as reboot.bat or just reboot.
- Next, a command line window will open with file names scrolling down.
- This window must not be manually closed, as it will close once the reboot.bat file utility has run.
If this doesn’t fix the problem, the computer must be restarted.
3. Reinstalling QuickBooks with a clean install
Before reinstalling, users must have the QuickBooks Desktop download file or the installation CD and license numbers at hand.
- Uninstalling QuickBooks
- First, select Windows+R for opening the ‘Run’ command. Then type ‘Control Panel’ and select OK.
- Next, select ‘Programs and Features. Select ‘Uninstall a Program’ if ‘Control Panel’ is in the ‘Category View’.
- Then, choose QuickBooks from the programs list and select ‘Uninstall/Change’. Now, follow the directions as prompted.
Note: If an error occurs while uninstalling QuickBooks, users must contact IT experts or Microsoft, as the Windows operating system might be corrupted.
4. Renaming the installation folders
Users can rename the folders using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool or rename the installation folders manually.
- If an error occurs while renaming, users must right-click on the ‘Windows Task Bar’ and choose ‘Task Manager’. Then, below the ‘Processes’ tab, select the ‘Image Name’ column to arrange the processes in an alphabetical order.
- Next choose QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe and select ‘End Process’.
- Finally select ‘Yes’ when this message appears: ‘WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability…’
5. Reinstalling QuickBooks
- Now, download and reinstall QuickBooks.
Need Professional Help?
Get Expert Advice to Fix All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
What are the Reasons behind the QuickBooks Error The File Exists?
There are several reasons behind this error but usually, it happens when windows user account control is interfering with QuickBooks. Sometimes users forget the login credentials to access windows and encounter this error. This issue also appears due to improper internet connectivity or firewall security settings in your system. The outdated version of QuickBooks is also the major reason behind this error.
How can I set up the User Account Control in window settings to get rid of QuickBooks window Error The File Exists?
To get rid of this error, the user needs to set up the User Account Control in window settings. First thing you have to do to press the Window + Alphabet R simultaneously to view the run window. Go to the search of the run window, write Control Panel, and hit the click on the OK button. Now, you have to search for the user’s account control settings from the control panel section. The next thing you have to do to click on the Change user account control settings. Hit the click on the Yes button and then move the slider down to the never notify and then turn off UAC. The final step is to restart the system and then update the QuickBooks payroll.
What is the best way to fix the QuickBooks window Error The File Exists?
The best way to resolve this error is to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop. Firstly, press the window + R key together to view the Run box. Then, you have to provide the box with text and click on the QuickBooks icon twice. After this, you have to choose to uninstall the option and then follow displayed prompts to remove the QuickBooks from windows. The final step is to download a clean install toll from the official website and save it on your system and then you get access to installing the QuickBooks software.